MacBook or MacBookPro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kariii, Jul 28, 2007.

1. kariii macrumors newbie

Hi there,

i'm about to buy a new portable computer and was playing around with the thought of a mac and so i was hoping to receive some advice from those who are more familiar with macs. I want to use this mac to support me in my upcoming years as a student of computer science (or something like that^^). I want it to be my organizer and platform of studies. I want to program, design, build websites, hold presentations and other stuff. :) I'm not interested in playing.

What's the better? A MacBook or a MacBookPro? I'm kinda worried if a 13" screen would be sufficient for working longer periods of time. That's why i had the idea of buying a MacBook, a new 20" flatscreen and a wireless keyboard for work at home, would this work well? Which (onboard) MacBook(Pro) keyboard is the better? Or should i just buy a MBP? Become fanatic :apple: fan or not^^?

Thanks in advance,
    kariii

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'd say that overall the MacBook Pro is on a whole different level from the MacBook in terms of impressive things and a little speed boost. If you're going to be doing any sort of 3D anything, unless very light, you would need a MBP as the MB has a puny integrated graphics card. Don't get me wrong, the MacBook is a very capable machine and it can hold on pretty well when competing with a Pro. I used to use a MacBook, however the integrated graphics got the best of me as I do a lot of 3D modeling. I have to say that the switch to the Pro was very very satisfying, the larger screen, backlit keyboard, light sensors, an actual graphics card, it has more significant speakers as well. A MB will power an external monitor fine and it should do all that you described, but if you can afford it, future proof more and get a Pro. Hope that helps.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You definitely don't need the Pro for the work you're going to do. A Macbook will suit you fine, and you can always hook up an external monitor when you're working at a desk. But I have a 12'' iBook and it's a great size if you want portability. The Macbook is just a little bigger but it's still great.

Go with the Macbook and save yourself some money.

4. maclover007 macrumors member

they are both great computers. its up 2 you to decide weather the extra $ is worth it.
    good luck

5. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I think you should go with the 2.16GHz MacBook, but definitely also get an external hard drive, display, wireless keyboard and mouse.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you have enough money to get it and not be in a financially sticky situation, then the mbp is better hands down. It has so many little benefits in addition to the newer processor and LED backlit screen, that it is worth the price difference.

My vote goes for the macbook pro.

PS: The macbook keyboard is horrible.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

MacBook Pro, all the way. The reason I say this is because if you're a student, it'll last you a good long time without having to replace it. However, if you're going to be carting it around a lot, the MacBook would definitely be a more sturdy machine. Again, they're both good, but the MBP is better and should last all through school.

Depends on who you are. I love the MacBook keyboard a lot.

8. lala042883 macrumors newbie

lala042883

buyin a laptop

Hi i was wonderin can i buy a macbook and pay monthly installments for it and does it gotta be with a credit card can it be with a debit card...

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Good reasoning. That's actually why I decided to buy a mbp (well one of the reasons anyways) over the macbook.

See OP, we're already disagreeing!!!:eek::) Go in to an Apple Store or Apple reseller and decide for yourself which keyboard is better/more comfortable.

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I am a sophmore in high school and I ended up with the base macbook pro for some video editing and because I think that it will last longer

11. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

In my opinion, the MacBook Pro just seems like a more professional machine. I chose mine for college. My mindset was I'd rather have a little 'too much' then 'not enough' when it came to performance from my notebook. I also liked the bigger screen and added resolution. I have never (and will never) be a fan of integrated graphic cards either. The only thing I liked about the MacBook more was the keyboard (I liked the spacing between the keys :eek:).

My suggestion to you is get the MBP if you have the money for it.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Get a Best Buy credit card. Then look online for financing specials. Microcenter is also great.

13. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Agreed. The Macbook keyboard is great.

14. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I personally own both a Macbook C2d and a Macbook Pro Core Duo 17". With everyday tasks, and even with video editing, I prefer the Macbook hands down to the Pro. It is wonderfully portable. I like the feel of the keyboard much better and as long as it is hooked up to an external monitor, I never miss the larger screen size.

And while this may be due to the fact that my MBP has a Core Duo in it (and any other first gen thermal paste issues I read about) the MBP gets ridiculously hot even with everyday functions... so hot, that it feels burning to the touch which seems to be negatively effecting both performance of the machine and wireless reception (the rubber antenna in the hinge gets scorching).

As a college student who is constantly on the go (checking email, writing reports, showing my videos to friends and clients, going home during holiday breaks, walking and biking on campus with books, traveling) the macbook has been the perfect machine. It has held up wonderfully to the physical rigors and surprises my friends in film rendering tests up against there C2d MBPs which cost almost twice the money.

As long as you are not doing gaming or 3-d anything, you should be very happy with a macbook. If you are, then no qustion buy an MBP.
    But check out these benchmarks of a Macbook running Final Cut Pro against Intel MBPs and PowerPc dual G5 Mac Pros.
    http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=43717

Just remember, you could buy almost two macbooks for the price of one MBP! While this isnt very reasonable, you could potentially upgrade twice as often, and have a more powerful macbook of the future, instead of still paying for the slower MBP of today.

My 2 cents.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

This is an important point for those who will be traveling very often with their macbooks/macbook pros. If you don't have a bag that can fit a 15" notebook, then the macbook as some serious advantages. On the other hand, if you have a bag that can fit a 15" notebook, then don't sweat it: the weight of both is nearly the same.

It isn't a 2:1 ratio, not even close. The mid range macbook compared to the low end mbp has a ratio of 3:2 (for EDU purchases, since that's what we're talking about). Now, consider that you get a newer chip, an LED backlit screen, a backlit keyboard, better speakers, a larger screen, a matte option for your screen, twice the included RAM, and non-intergrated graphics, the price comparison really doesn't hold up as well.

16. GMacDaddyTPO macrumors newbie

Do what I did man. Buy a BlackBook (all my MBP owning friends agree it looks cooler than the Pro's), and update the RAM to 2GB as soon as you get it (dealRAM.com, newegg.com)

Trust me, you will not regret it. Especially since you said you won't be playing games. I played Company of Heros (which is a pretty intensive game, as far as your computers specs go), and this bad boy could hold it's own.

The ONLY thing I wish would be better is the keyboard. Not the layout, or the buttons, I love that about it. Just wish it lit up like the fancy-shmancy Pro's do...lol.

Good luck man. Whatever you end up with, Mac-wise, you're gonna love it.

:cool:

17. tristan macrumors 6502a

I have an MBP. I upgraded from a PBG4 and briefly considered a MB but was underwhelmed by the screen and keyboard. If you're trying to save costs, consider an older model refurb MBP like I bought.

The best setup, IMO, is:
    15" MBP any Core 1 or 2 Duo w 2gig RAM
    Third-party 20"WS to 22"WS LCD display
    Bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard
    Applecare after 1 year

18. kariii thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all those replies -
    some issuses got me lately so i have some further questions...

Having read (way to many) posts - i am quite concerned about heat issues with the mbp as i would use it daily on my way to university -- and i really wouldn't like to have my legs burned? :D

Another thing that bothers me about the Macbook is that i read some news about core animation which appears to be optimized for 128 mb of dedicated video ram... could i fear slowdowns taking Macbook now and upgrade to Leopard later?

Gosh my mind is spinning around about this mb/mbp decision.

19. mBurns macrumors 6502

With regards to your heat concern:

I have a MacBook Pro. Although it does get hot, it never becomes hot enough where I feel like my leg is going to be burned. I also think that if you're planning on using gpu intensive programs on your machine, you're better of going with the MacBook Pro. There's nothing like true dedicated graphics...

20. pedroconejo macrumors newbie

Good 2 cents, good advise.:apple: