Macbook or MBP for a science major?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by duaumun, May 23, 2008.

1. duaumun macrumors newbie

I'm entering college this fall, planning on majoring in chem/physics, going to have a lot of upper level math courses (aka, i'm starting with DE). That being said, I don't know if I will need to add software to graph stuff and all on my computer. I'm deciding between the black Macbook and the MBP, and I know that MBP is better with graphics. My question is, will it make a huge difference if I am going to tool around occasionally with photoshop or use it for graphing 3d stuff?

It's my first mac, and I like them both, so i'm cool with either

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i got through engineering with an emac and a macbook

that said, i was able to run 3d modeling software on my macbook very easily

also keep in mind that your school will have labs for the intense stuff which would be smarter to use even if you had the mbp

my vote is to get the mb and save the money that you would have spent to get the mbp

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

from my experience, I have to run most of my data crunching, graphing, and modeling software in bootcamp. My mb worked just fine; most were processor intensive, not graphics.

4. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The MB is powerful enough for what you mentioned.

6. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

MacBook should be fine.

BTW, don't overlook the "Grapher" program (found in Utilities) Very cool. Can graph nearly every function/equation, 2D & 3D.