MacBook or MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bertofa, Feb 13, 2010.

1. bertofa macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm a newbie in Mac world (I just bought an iMac). I need a portable for ripping DVDs also when I'm out home - meaning just using batteries (the rest of time at home I'll use it for wp, spreadsheets and surfing the net); I travel a lot by train.

Which Mac do you expert guys suggest me?: Book or Pro :confused:

Thanks a lot

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

When all you do is word processing, surfing the 6u, reading/writing email and ripping DVDs (which will cost you battery life due to the spinning), then a MacBook is fine.

As you can see from this comparison sheet, both Macs, or better every Mac except the Air will support what you want to do, and the notebooks, except the Air will give you the freedom of moving it around without an external power source.

3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

For your needs, a basic MacBook would be enough. But if you can afford it and if you don't mind the aluminium, get the 13" Pro. But my advice is - not now!

Wait for the update, it will soon come. Then you can decide. There is not much difference in performance now, but the aluminium has Firewire, if you have a Mini DV camcorder in the family, that's handy. Also. aluminium is more grown-up and sturdy.

4. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I thought that macbook like was all the same now for the unibody's. As in, macbook pro 13"-17'?

Didn't apple decide to make the whole macbook line, 'pro'?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, there was always the white MacBook.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

MacBook
    Our most affordable notebook.
    Just $999
    [​IMG]

13-inch MacBook Pro
    The high-performance notebook for everyone.
    From $1199
    [​IMG]

15-inch MacBook Pro
    The mobile computing powerhouse.
    From $1699
    [​IMG]

17-inch MacBook Pro
    The ultimate mobile studio.
    From $2499
    [​IMG]

MacBook Air
    The thinnest and lightest Mac notebook ever.
    From $1499
    [​IMG]

6. ct95 macrumors regular

I would go with the Macbook. MacBook Pro is $200 more, which buys you the aluminum case, SD slot, FW800 and 90MB less (!) hard drive space. Everything else is the same. It is largely personal presence - weigh the $200 vs. the differences above.

Spec-wise MB is so close to MBP, since it was updated more recently. MBP is rumored to be imminent. After that, I expect there will be a clearer distinction between the 13" MB and MBP that will justify an extra $200.

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

That should be 90 GB. The MacBook Pro also has a better display in most cases from what I have read. But if you are set on getting a Mac notebook and not planning to wait until the next generation are released, you might as well save $400 and buy the MacBook from MicroCenter.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0321997

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1842491

Many people were able to have the Apple Stores, Best Buy, and Frys Electronics match the price from some reading of the link above.

8. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I like the glass screens of the 13" MacBook Pros. It's easier to clean and it's less of a worry if it's touched (touching the glass won't distort the LCD common to other anti-glare or glossy displays).

The backlight keypad is nice for dark lecture halls (where professors tend to use PowerPoints much more).

9. bertofa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot to everybody! :)
    I'm not in a hurry so I think I'll be waiting for the new relesase of MBP and then I'll decide between new 13' MBP and Mac Book :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

10. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I was looking at this recently for a friend also. Frankly for my money the 13" MBP is a nicer choice. It is $200 more, but you get a much nicer looker computer which has higher specs generally and many small advantages.

Go and have a look at them both in the store and see which one you would be happier with.

Of course in reality, most of us don't do that much that really requires a macbook pro, but we just like to give Apple our money...:p

11. TSE macrumors 68030

MacBook would be fine. They are decent machines.