Macbook or not

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by igotswings, Apr 5, 2010.

1. igotswings macrumors newbie

I am currently using a 4 year old laptop running Ubuntu with 800mb of ram and 1.8ghz.
    The only things I do with this laptop is light browsing(dA, news, email) and gimp.

I like the Macbook but the only reason I came up with getting one is because it looks nice =/.

Would it be worth it for me to buy one?

*I was thinking about the Mini few weeks ago but it really didn't tickle my fancy*

2. UsedMacGuy macrumors newbie

I think we need more info.
    What do you do?

3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Agreed with the above poster... tell your usage and what you plan to do with your laptop?

4. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Indeed, provide some reference of what you will be doing with it to get better opinions.

5. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Web browsing and Gimp is what he said. :)

if you think it "looks nice" and that is sufficient justification in your mind to buy one, go right ahead! They are great laptops and you'll enjoy owning one.

There is something to be said about treating yourself...if you can afford it, and would like to do so, by all means, do so.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While ubuntu is not a resource hog as OSX is, I'd still say go for a newer model. One reason is configuring newer versions of ubuntu will be easier on newer hardware.

4 years on a laptop is a long time and your current laptop doesn't owe you anything. I'd say go for a new MB and enjoy. :)

7. Arrandale macrumors regular

The macbook is really excellent for the purposes you've described.

If you have the money, go for it.

8. jacdem macrumors member

buy it

I have got a white macbook early 2009. I must say I love it. If you have the money, go for it. You won't regret it. Mac computer are very good.

9. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

it would be more than enough for your needs and should last you a good while