Macbook or Powerbook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AcerbicGuy, May 6, 2009.

1. AcerbicGuy macrumors newbie

Hello :)

Basically, I am using a broken iMac 17 inch (Intel Core 2 Duo) in this moment. It has a broken screen so I have another display connected. It runs Windows XP alone, I cannot install Mac OS because the iMac screen is cracked and there is no way to mirror the Mac OS installation to another display. I got this thing for $200 from eBay and have been using it for almost 2 years.

Now Windows XP is full and is terribly slow. Like I said, I cannot reinstall because the iMac screen is broken so I cannot see the installation. I want to buy something else. I do not want Windows so I thought I would go with Apple.

I am poor and my budget for a computer is only $600. I would like a laptop or something portable since I am going to college soon. For this money on eBay I found quiet a few 15 inch Powerbook G4s and very few white Macbooks. To be honest, the 13 inch screen is probably a little small for me but it does have Core 2 Duo. Most of these models for the price come with 512MB of Ram so I will have to save more for memory upgrades later. I am really not sure what to pick. There are iMac g5 too around the same price but like I said.. I would like a laptop.

Out of these 2 computers which one would last me more? Those Macbooks have good processors but the Powerbooks have bigger screen and Superdrive..

Sorry for my poor English, I only lived in US for little time.

2. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

For $600, there should be quite a few macbooks.

You could get a PPC/G4 laptop, but you may be limited in the long run with what it does. I'm still using a G3 iMac for everyday word processing, email, and light web browsing. Therefore, you may not be so hindered with a G4.

G4's will run video and flash based stuff a wee bit on the slow side, depending on the specs of the machine. The last of the G4's (1.67 ghz) were very able machines, and I would love to have one.

But, for someone going off to college, I'd recommend intel.

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The MacBook would definitely last you longer.

Post which configurations you have found and their price. Then we can make better suggestions based on that :)

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Why don't you repair the iMac screen? That's your cheapest option.

5. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Get the newer technology (macbook) and hook it up to that screen that's connected to your iMac right now, if you don't want to repair that screen like Bill suggested.

Personally I'd follow his advice, save my money and repair the screen unless you were looking for portability.

Edit: Reread your post. Just go for the macbook. You can't go wrong. You can upgrade things on your own later, cheaply, and at home, you've got a larger screen.

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Not directly related to your question but I would try disconnecting the internal display from the video card/motherboard. That should let you use an external display for installing OS X.