Macbook or Pro? Matte or Glossy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DDar, Dec 9, 2007.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Well, I'm getting a laptop from my parents for Christmas. I originally planned on getting a Macbook, but it sounds like the Macbooks were severely nerfed by the incorporation of Leopard. Not to mention I plan on maybe someday playing games on it...

You see, my main reason for wanting to buy a laptop is so I have a machine that will run photoshop CS3 along with my Wacom tablet quickly and without lag. Now, my options for a laptop are the white Macbook (2nd tier with 160 GB HDD and 2GB RAM) or the 2nd tier Macbook Pro (No real extra's here. Except for maybe Matte or Gloss). Now, as I have said, the main use for it (at the beginning anyways. Later I may play some videogames and watch movies on it) will be digital painting and use as a "notebook" for school (I'm tired of real paper. I keep on losing my notes. T_T). So I'm wondering, which of the two do you thing will be best for me? Which do you find to be the most bang for your bucK? Is the Macbook Pro REALLY worth it?

Also, if the Macbook is the best, which would you recommend? Matte or Gloss? I've seen Gloss screens on alot of HP computers and the colors are stunning. However, I've heard that they are bad for art as they over exaggerate colors and Matte screens are better for artwork. However, I've heard Matte screens are unreadable in the sunlight (I live in a very sunny place so that MIGHT be a problem. <.<), but that they have more "real" colors (whatever that means).

What mainly worries me about Matte is that the screen looks dull, old and ugly. I'm going to be staring at this screen for a LONG time. I want it to be at least nice, y'know? =(

So what do you guys think? Can ya help me? =(

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

This is backwards (or upside down). The screens that are unreadable in sunlight are the glossy screens. Matte screens are *designed* to be readable in bright light. In direct light, glossies turn into mirrors, and shine whatever they reflect directly into your eyes.

Anyway, I'd get the MB unless you have a specific need for the larger screen or dedicated graphics of the MBP. Besides those, the internal hardware's pretty much the same. Oh, and upgrade the RAM yourself. It takes 5 minutes, and you'll save hundreds compared to having Apple do it.

3. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Yeah, I've heard that. =/
    But my parents just wanna buy me everything in ONE buy so... Kinda in a rutt there.
    Hmmm... So, would you say that the Glossy screen is equally as good for Photoshop as the Matte screen?

4. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I remember reading somewhere (possibly on here) that glossy exaggerates colors (great for multimedia), but matte gives you true colors (great for true photo editing and artwork).

So in my mind matte would be better in Photoshop going off of that logic. I can definitely agree with this logic having worked in Photoshop on both screen types.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I suppose the MacBook you need really depends on the types of games you'll be playing. For instance, my friend has the base model MacBook and is able to play The Sims 2 quite nicely on it. I have a 2.16 Core 2 Duo iMac with an ATI graphics card with 256mb of memory and SimCity 4 can sometimes lag a little bit, as does RollerCoster Tycoon 3. If it were me and it was going to be my sole computer I would go ahead and get a Pro.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you're going for professional graphics work (like you need to make a living from your results), then I'd go with the matte screens, as I think they're considered standard in that field. However, if this isn't critical stuff (or you're likely to spend much of your time watching movies), then the glossy screens might be a better investment for you. It really depends on how much you're willing to spend. At the MB level, you get glossy. At the MBP level, you get to choose between glossy and matte.

7. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

yeah, i was going to say, the macbook pro is the only one you can choose matte for, the macbooks are all glossy. Don't let your parents buy ram from Apple. Just don't. If they want to make it easier on themselves, have them give you the laptop and an extra 150 for ram, and you can order it and install it yourself, thus giving you less hassle (or if you don't have a check card or whatnot to your bank account for some reason, have them give you their credit card number - assuming theytrust you! hehe) and you can order the ram and install it, thus taking the ordering process off their belts... ram from apple is REDICULOUS.

It sounds to me that matte would be better, and it would probably be better to have the dedicated graphics of the macbook pro if it's your only computer and you want to play games eventually.

If you want to save money, you could always go for a refurb 2.4 ... only 2099 in the refurb store. Save some money... although, you may ask yoursef if the 2.2 sr mbp wouldn' tbe enough for you (as you are choosing between a macbook which is only 2.2 anyway top of hte line) then you get the best of both worlds, and the 2.2 MBP refurb is only 1800 (well 1699 plus tax)

Save your parents some cash... and it comes with 2gig of ram, should be plenty for a while, you could max it out down the line later.

Either way, goodluck :)

edit: the matte screen does NOT look old dull and ugly. I have a glossy now, but I had a matte mbp CD for a good year and I loved the screen. It is actually probably (imo anyway) easier to look at for long periods of time. The glossy occasionally is too contrasty for me... perhaps my eyes are just sensitive. I only switched because I have an external now for better color, and in class situations for giving presentations on it, it was better in the area, but the matte is definitely better in high light sunny situations and I think would suite your needs better :) it's still a beautiful screen, and these LED backlit ones are even brighter and more amazing! :)

8. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

If he buys MBP, the it has 2GB bt default, and it's plenty. Why should everyone have more than enough? Just because it's possible and every other kid also has "maxxed out super-duper" computer as well? Enough is enough, more than that is just a waste of money.

I don't mean to sound mean, but if a person doesn't know whether he should choose matte or glossy, then 2GB will be more than enough and it would be perfectly okay to just "settle" for the basic model without extras.

EDIT: oh, I shouldn't have jumped on this one, I noticed that later on your post you were also recommending to "settle" for that 2GB. My bad...

9. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Regarding the Matte or Glossy question, my vote goes for Matte.

Just go to an Apple store if you can and compare both right next to each other. Good luck!

10. iBecks macrumors 6502

I agree, go to an Apple store and compare, I was all for getting the glossy until I saw them side by side.

In my opinion, there was far too much glare from the glossy screen.

11. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

For serious work in Photoshop then i would suggest matte. Although glossy is quite nice matte is accurate.

12. AdobeWan macrumors newbie

Glossy = Horrible

You are insane to even consider glossy. Ok, that might have sounded a bit harsh, but that's how strongly I am against Apple's decision to embrace it. Like others have said, it basically acts as a mirror. Unless you plan to work in a dark cave, all the time, glossy is not only worthless, it actually hurts productivity. Sure the colors are a bit more vibrant, but what good is it if you can't even see?

13. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

14. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Bingo! :)

15. EngBrian macrumors regular

I have a macbook so I am stuck with the glossy but I don't mind it at all. I have used it outside with success as well as in my brightly lit office. You just have to adjust the angle a bit the same as you would with any screen. In my experience matte screens have become very washed out in bright sunny areas. But either way if the sun is on your screen you are going to have trouble matte or glossy.

In the end my vote is to tell you to go to the store check them out side by side and see what you like.

16. wake6830 macrumors regular

I don't get the supposed necessity of matte screens for graphics professionals.

I imagine that most serious graphics professionals will be using an external monitor and won't be doing their work on a 15" or even 17" screen anyway.

With that in mind, get whichever you like the best. It's a matter of personal preference.