MacBook or Refurb MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigsmooth, Apr 4, 2017.

1. bigsmooth macrumors newbie

So I've had some great luck lately.

I now need to find a replacement for my 2013 MBA that crapped out on me.
    I'm looking at a 12" MacBook. With my education discount I can get it with 8gb/256gb for $1324 OTD. or I can get a refurbished 13" MBP w/o TB 8gb/256gb for $1345 OTD.

This is mainly used for back and forth to work (education coordinator between a few buildings), used mainly for internet, spreadsheets, iMovie, and such.
    The plan is to get a new iMac when they come out as a family computer that will have a larger SSD.

I think this is a no brainer to go with the Refurb MBP. I guess my real question is about as a joke should I have any reservations about buying a refurb? I assume Apple goes over them with a fine tooth comb?
    With the price being that close it just seems like a good deal.

2. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

refurbs are GREAT! Apple typically fixes anything they find in the refurb process along with the original issue. Sometimes, just sometimes, you can get a better spec'd machine without ordering, again sometimes. Go with the 13" over the 12" I have had both.

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Pretty much. Refurbs from Apple have as good a reputation as, maybe better than, new ones.

4. bigsmooth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks
    That's what I was thinking.

Now the refurb store is updated. For another $180 I could get the 13" MBP 8gb/512gb. Prob gonna have to do that even though it's silver and I kind of wanted a space grey.

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I've seen the MacBook in person I felt like the screen was a little small for me. It's an amazing device for maybe like browsing web but I wish the screen was bigger like maybe instead of bezels they filled it with screen.

Whatever the case I like the 2016 MBP a lot I actually bought 2 but both went back bc of issues. It made me sad but I've moved on.