MacBook, or the MacBook Pro??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mablung, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Mablung macrumors newbie

Hello, all my life I have used PC's, I have recently decided to move to the Mac side...:p But i can't chose which mac book to get!!
    I have untill October to make my final decision (waiting for leopard)

a) MacBook 2.16ghz, 1gb ram(will upgrade to 2gb) 120gb hard-drive
    b) MacBook Pro, 2.2ghz, 2gb ram, 120gb hard-drive

Here is what I will be doing on it:
    -Using iLife ALLOT (making movies, DVD's, photo editing)
    -Surfing the Web
    -Chatting (iChat, MSN, AIM ect.)
    -Listening to my 2gb of Music,
    -School Work

I currently do about the same things (with PC stuff instead of the iLife stuff,) with my PC, but my PC doesn't have a video card (well it has the integrated one) so I can't play games, and with my computer being like this, I am bored out of my mind!
    But I am sure with a macbook, I will be entertained enough to not need games...

I am 14 years old, and currently only have $1.1k, but my dad is willing to loan me w\e else I need for my macbook, the macbook will be replacing my desktop, and I wont be moving it much, I will hook it up to my current monitor(Only about 15") when I am at home,
    Please keep in mind I am only 14, with only $1.1k so far, My dad can get a good deal on the macbook, (he can get it for $1,257 instead of $1,300 + $100 tax) so that helps out allot, so I am allot closer to a macbook then a pro, and I have no source of income atm, (no job, no allowance, ect.)

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It doesn't sound like that you'll use a lot of the features of the MacBook Pro, so you should get the MacBook. They are still great computers.

3. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Yup you fall into the same bracket as me and I find the MB great. There's loadsa threads on this, do a search! :)

4. Mablung thread starter macrumors newbie

I have another question, how many gb's of stuff is preloaded onto the mac??

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If I remember correctly, I believe it was around 12GB or so. But you can get rid of a few GBs by deleting printer drivers etc.

6. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I am having the exact same problem!!
    But I am leaning more towards the MacBook, the pro is nice and all, but I think it is a little too much,

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

In your situation, I would go for the MB. BTW there's a thread in the gaming section about playing games on MBs - have a look!

Yeah, it's roughly that amount - recently there have been a couple of threads about trimming down the pre-installed stuff... in the laptop forum I think, funnily enough.

8. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Just buy the cheapest pro model and you'll be very happy