macbook or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matthewroth, Feb 14, 2008.

1. matthewroth macrumors member

Hello,

This is a common problem people face. Shall I buy product (X) now, or wait as it might be updated. Unless the product has just... and I mean just come out I don’t recommend it but now I am in need. I am wanting a laptop (I need a second machine and don’t want another Mac mini) main uses will be music, video’s, ripping using handbrake.

Now, there have been a lot of product updates early this year, are apple trying to up every product nice an early? Can anyone see a Macbook update in the near future (i am buying it on 29th of feb)

thanks for your input,

Matt.

2. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

3. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

In my opinion, it does not matter how long you wait there will always be something new around the corner. Whether that be next week or in 6 months.

4. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I'd say go for it. Nobody has any idea how much longer until the a new MacBook comes out. And the current MacBook has most of the bugs ironed out of it.

5. matthewroth thread starter macrumors member

thanks for you responses.

i think i will. i do need another machine (well need is a strong word...want is better) i just think that if i buy it, wait 3 weeks for the return time to run out and then a new one comes out smaller, faster and se)(yer i will cry.

it is still a zippy little machine, VERY nice looking and has what i need.

any more responses will be welcome (dont say get a macbook air, i am poor and need an intigrated drive)

6. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I'm on the same boat as you, I just want I'd so badly, especially since it will be my first mac, but I don't want to get screwed a month after I get it. The worst thing is, I can wait and am in no rush, I just want it.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Speculation is that the new MacBooks will be Aluminum (sort of like a thick MacBook Air).

I love the looks of the Air - so I'm waiting for Apple to make an Aluminum MacBook.

8. chickenninja macrumors 6502

chickenninja

you should buy an apple refurbished macbook pro. from apple
    this macbook air has pretty much filled the niche that the macbook used to, other than the size, hard drives and optical drive they are more or less the same, which would lead one to believe that macbook might be in for a revamp so as to define its role for more specificly in the product lineup, and there have been tons of rumors about macbook pros with immenent updates, the fact that the macbook air was not simply a macbook successor clearly indicates that the entire mobile line is going to receive more specialized functionality. the air being the mobile master. the macbook stepping up to what the 15" macbook pro was, and the macbook pro becoming the ultimate in power mobile desktop current17"equivelent. and then your ultra mobile is of course the iphone/ ipod touch.

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

I doubt any new major revisions in the current MacBook lineup. The MacBook Pro needs/will be revamped before the Macbook.

Think about this, if they just released the MacBook Air for $1799, why would they do a major revision to the MacBook (with alumin etc....or whatever people on this board think will be in the next MacBook). This will cannabilize the MacBook Air's sales.

Maybe there will be a speed bump, minor changes in the current MacBook lineup but really, the product is selling well and it makes no sense (from a business standpoint) to do any major revision until probably back to school season.