MacBook order "stuck"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Samadhi05, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Samadhi05 macrumors newbie

I called Apple yesterday to purchase a my first MacBook. Everything seemed to go fine, until I noticed they misspelled my shipping address - not good. I emailed the rep back to get that changed, but he told me the order was not in the system yet (usually takes 15 minutes to happen) and that he would try later. 8 hours later I get a call from him, telling me that my order was "lost" in the system and that I need to complete it again. We went through everything, although in a hurry as I needed to get to rehearsal (go PSU Blue Band!), to find later that this order was incorrect (wrong model MacBook). Once back at my place, I went online to check my order status to find that both were there, and both were waiting to get into the system.

After more discussion with the rep, as well as a different rep, I found out that Apple has been having problems with orders getting "stuck" between ordering and being in the system. Because they are in limbo, nothing can be changed, so I cannot alter the shipping address of the otherwise correct (first) order, nor can I cancel the second order.

Has anyone else experienced this problem recently? Do you think customer service will provide any compensation for this screw up?

I'm finally switching to Mac, and this is not a good start :(

2. JonnyBravo macrumors regular

Not an answer...but a question...

Just curious. Since you can go online to check your status, why did you choose to place your order over the phone as opposed to online? Is there a benefit from doing that?
    thx.

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Nope I ordered on the phone on the 1st and it will be here tomorrow :)

4. Anorion macrumors member

Having the same problem. I called their CS this afternoon, and talked to a nice guy named Mark. He said that they basicly got overloaded with orders yesterday, and that they had all sorts of problems because of the sheer volume of orders. Which I can understand, being in IT.

But... my macbook was /supposed/ to go out today, and hasn't, so I guess I'll be calling them back tomorrow.

I'm not really mad, though. It's really their fault they couldn't handle the volume of orders (I think he said 15,000 in less than two hours?). It'll get worked out, even if I have to cancel my current order and reorder to get it back into the system.