Macbook ordered online return to store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mowgli21, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Mowgli21 macrumors regular

Hi

I was wondering are you able to return a macbook that is ordered online to my local apple store instead of posting it back online? It is unopened and brand new. I would just rather take it back to a store rather than post it back.

Many Thanks

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

No, you have to return it to the online store if you bought it there. If you go into order status online, there will be an option for generating a RMA.

3. Mowgli21 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, would i have to pay the return postage?

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Yes

5. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

It depends on the reason of the return.

Let me explain: Once, I had a 15" REFURBISHED I bought through the online store (that's the only place they sell refurbs).

It started giving me errors every time I'd use it for gaming, I think it was getting to hot and shutting down.

I took it to the local store, and after 30 min of explanation, 2 geniuses and 1 manager, they offered to replace it with a brand new one that matched the price.

Great uhn? The problem was that the brand new one was the 2009 mbp entry level ($1599 w/ the student discount) and the one I had was the the late 2008 high end model which I bought refurbished for $1499). They didn't want to replace mine by specs comparison but for price matching. So I didn't want it. Just sold it on ebay.

The computer had not been purchased at the store + it was a refurbished. The store didn't get my money, either carried refurbished but still was willing to help me.

So yes, they can do whatever they want, it all depends on your attitude + their mood.

So if you want for example, get an upgrade (more $ computer) they'd probably do it in a heartbeat.

Always try, be nice and polite, you'll get what you want.

EDIT: And NO, you don't pay the return shipping when they issue a RMA to you.