Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Ordered a Macbook earlier today, 1.83 version with gig ram and 80 gig harddrive. On the website it said ready to ship in around 3 days yet on my order status page it says ready to dispatch on 18th October.

I had to order it today to take advantage of the ipod offer as well as the apple care offer.

Can anyone shed any light on why it might be taking so long. Is it to do with some possible release of a new macbook on tuesday?

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
anjam said:
Ordered a Macbook earlier today, 1.83 version with gig ram and 80 gig harddrive. On the website it said ready to ship in around 3 days yet on my order status page it says ready to dispatch on 18th October.

I had to order it today to take advantage of the ipod offer as well as the apple care offer.

Can anyone shed any light on why it might be taking so long. Is it to do with some possible release of a new macbook on tuesday?

It might ship sooner, you never know :)

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
It is just a conservative shipping estimate, they are ALWAYS later than reality so the customer won't end up disappointed when the ship date keeps getting extended.

Other reason could be because you BTOed? You can actually buy the 2 Ghz model cheaper than what you are paying for right now... you realise that? Then just go to the local hardware store, get a 1gb memory chip for like $80, and get a Macbook with super drive, the same 80GB hard drive, and a faster processor :rolleyes:

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
anjam said:

Amny people have been reporting the same thing, long delays. In many cases I think people are getting them way before the estimated ship date.

anjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
generik said:
It is just a conservative shipping estimate, they are ALWAYS later than reality so the customer won't end up disappointed when the ship date keeps getting extended.

Other reason could be because you BTOed? You can actually buy the 2 Ghz model cheaper than what you are paying for right now... you realise that? Then just go to the local hardware store, get a 1gb memory chip for like $80, and get a Macbook with super drive, the same 80GB hard drive, and a faster processor :rolleyes:

How could i have got it cheaper? What does BToed mean...

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
anjam said:
How could i have got it cheaper? What does BToed mean...

Built to Ordered

It wouldn't be cheaper, but the upgrade options you exercised aren't exactly great value for cash either. How much did you spend on your entire machine so far?

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
anjam said:

Its taking longer because demand is high. It says 3 days to ship, but Build-to-order (BTO) take longer regardless.

Also, because these are coming from China. Theres some delays in shipping over there at the moment. It will most likely come before the 18th.

anjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
generik said:
Built to Ordered

It wouldn't be cheaper, but the upgrade options you exercised aren't exactly great value for cash either. How much did you spend on your entire machine so far?

It was like £640 (approx). I mean i got what i needed, i had a powerbook 1.5ghz with superdrive and used it once! So i don't need the dvd burner at all. In terms of speed im sure it will be fast and i will eventually get 2 gig ram in it total. In terms of space i have an external hard drive already. So yeh it pretty much does what i need it to do.

anjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Willis said:
Its taking longer because demand is high. It says 3 days to ship, but Build-to-order (BTO) take longer regardless.

Also, because these are coming from China. Theres some delays in shipping over there at the moment. It will most likely come before the 18th.

Oh right, cool. I mean i'm in no major rush for it, although i will be happy once it's finally here. :)

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
anjam said:
It was like £640 (approx). I mean i got what i needed, i had a powerbook 1.5ghz with superdrive and used it once! So i don't need the dvd burner at all. In terms of speed im sure it will be fast and i will eventually get 2 gig ram in it total. In terms of space i have an external hard drive already. So yeh it pretty much does what i need it to do.

Hmm, wasn't too sure with UK pricing then.

But I snagged a 2.0Ghz Macbook refurbished off the SAVE store in the US once, for about the same as what the 1.83 model costed me EDU. It even came with a silent hard drive upgrade and had no issues out of the box, and apart from the ugly looking box that was a pretty great buy.

So at the same price you spent on the 1.83 machine you could already have gotten one that has a faster processor and a superdrive, and a bit more would get you the memory too.

Apple does charges quite a lot of coin for their memory upgrades, so most MR members usually DIY.

anjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
generik said:
Hmm, wasn't too sure with UK pricing then.

But I snagged a 2.0Ghz Macbook refurbished off the SAVE store in the US once, for about the same as what the 1.83 model costed me EDU. It even came with a silent hard drive upgrade and had no issues out of the box, and apart from the ugly looking box that was a pretty great buy.

So at the same price you spent on the 1.83 machine you could already have gotten one that has a faster processor and a superdrive, and a bit more would get you the memory too.

Apple does charges quite a lot of coin for their memory upgrades, so most MR members usually DIY.

I see. Congrats on your purchase. I didn't even think i was going to place an order for a new laptop this morning. I kind of just did and got another video ipod and 3 years apple care with it and also got the printer they currently have the offer on.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
anjam said:

£640? did you get it under Edu or HE discount. its £749 for the basic system.

anjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Willis said:
£640? did you get it under Edu or HE discount. its £749 for the basic system.

Not sure, it was via telephone though. I then added extra ram and additional hard drive space. I only ordered it today to take advantage of the ipod rebate offer and the Apple Care for about £55 for 3 years.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
anjam said:
Not sure, it was via telephone though. I then added extra ram and additional hard drive space. I only ordered it today to take advantage of the ipod rebate offer and the Apple Care for about £55 for 3 years.

Does 640 quid also include the memory and hard drive upgrades as well?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Cybergypsy said:
Now waiting is the hardest part.......so keep yourself away form the shipping number :)

Actually I would keep loading that page... just so I can click on "cancel order" "next Tuesday".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.