Macbook + Orig. Xbox Mod

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bugatimann56, Feb 14, 2010.

1. bugatimann56 macrumors newbie

Hey, I have an extra macbook (weird, right?) and an old xbox. The mac is a 13" Macbook 4,1. I want to put it in my xbox. I think I can do it but this is my first hardware mod and, to be honest, I'm scared. Does anyone see any immediate problems I'm overlooking? I chose the xbox because it can dissipate heat well and i need a tower pc, so i thought an xbox one would be cool. the challenges i can think of as of right now are:
    1. proper spacing and mounting of logic board (so that nothing that shouldn't touch doesn't)
    2. proper placement of airport & bluetooth cards (the xbox is sorrounded by metal, which will seriously damper any wireless connections)
    3. properly mounting the Superdrive (the actual xbox DVD-ROM drive as the black xbox plastic part glued to the front. obviously, that's not an option with the drive built into the mac)
    4. Finally, taking apart the mac without destroying any of the parts. Then putting the whole thing together without causing any static discharge etc.

Look, I'm a senior in high school, not a laptop repairman, but I really want to do this before I leave for college. Also, if anyone can project costs i'm not including, that'd be a huge help. Thanks!

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

3. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

So you want to put a macbook in an xbox case?

Why?

4. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

first of all why would you do that?
    specific reasons? :confused: :confused:

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You could probably stack like, 4 macbooks in the space of a xbox case :/

6. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i can't offer any help but if you actually go through with this post pics cause that would be quite the feat.

7. bugatimann56 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is why i wanna do it...

I really love taking apart/fixing computers, and this extra macbook I have has a broken screen which is $500+ to fix...I have my own macbook, an identical one (here's the story: i got mine for my 16th bday in '08. a few months ago, a buddy of mine gave me the extra macbook, his sister had dropped it and pwned the screen, and he had no use for it.) So i have my own laptop, but i really want a tower PC, and i wanted something that could keep my laptop super-well ventilated, which is why i chose the xbox. Plus, it'd be pretty cool to have wire running out of the xbox to an OSX desktop. Also, I've never seen this done before; the only macbook casemod i've seen was in two linksys routers. And, finally, I think casemodding the macbook into an xbox would be a challenge the likes of which i've never had to deal with and will be really really fun. that's why i wanna do it