MacBook origins..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by airfang, Apr 16, 2007.

1. airfang macrumors regular

Just tracked my shipment, found that my MBP shipment's origin is Shanghai. Having heard some rumors that the apple product quality sold in China was not as good as in the States... any comment on this?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think you meant manufactured?
    Most if not all of Apple's products are manufactured in China.

3. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

You could not afford it if it was made in the USA :D

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes.. as far as I know, all Macs are manufactured in China.

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I'm not sure when Apple began manufacturing in China, and it may just be coincidence, but I do know that my older Macs (pre 2001, iBook 500, Ti 500, 3400c) have never had a single hardware malfunction, whilst both of my post-2001 laptops (iBook G3 700, PowerBook 1.67) have had to have logic board replacements, and the 1.67 LCD is starting to have problems.

However, I believe that rather than the manufacturing location, it is likely the increased production volume over the last few years, if anything, that may lead to quality control issues. I may be wrong here, but I think the Chinese plants are simply assembling the final product and have nothing to do with the individual componenets.

6. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

I think that has a lot to do with the increased performance and smaller size of the laptops. Smaller components break more easily and more heat also causes more problems. You see this in all computer equipment, old IBM PC's would run for a decade. Try that with a modern PC.