Macbook OS tied to Apple ID help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryukouki, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Ryukouki macrumors regular

Hey,

So I am trying to sell my Macbook Pro. It came to me from Amazon with OS Lion preinstalled, but when I scanned the serial online the device was originally a Snow Leopard machine. I heard that if I want to sell the device I need to put it back to its original factory OS, which is SL, but I never got the disks in my packaging even though it was new. Did Amazon tamper with my package?

I want to sell this MBP with OS Mountain Lion but it's tied to my apple ID, so what would I have to do to be able to let the buyer use the MBP for himself, without being bothered by my Apple ID? I'm so confused.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

That part isn't my concern. What I AM concerned about is if the buyer can't update due to Mountain Lion being held on my Apple ID. I don't want that to happen. Do I reinstall Lion via Recovery HD? will it be tied into my apple ID still or will it not ask that since it's part of the hardware?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Your Apple ID is part of your data. Simply by wiping the drive the association is erased.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yes, just boot from the recovery partition and reinstall the OS. Your Apple ID isn't saved anywhere on that recovery partition.

6. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

So if I did this with Mountain Lion from a USB stick even though preinstall was Lion.. still legal?

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No, you own the license to use Mountain Lion on your computer. If you put it on someone else's computer you're breaking the terms of your EULA.

8. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

I thought this association was stored on the Logic board?

9. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Can someone please explain this bc randomly, the MAS wants to lock iLife '11 to my account, not the computer that I am thinking of selling. So the new user would not get iLife '11 if it is connected to my login and password?

10. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

I actually just emailed apple and they said whatever happens bottom line they will fix everything. :)