Macbook OS tied to Apple ID help?

Ryukouki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Hey,

So I am trying to sell my Macbook Pro. It came to me from Amazon with OS Lion preinstalled, but when I scanned the serial online the device was originally a Snow Leopard machine. I heard that if I want to sell the device I need to put it back to its original factory OS, which is SL, but I never got the disks in my packaging even though it was new. Did Amazon tamper with my package?

I want to sell this MBP with OS Mountain Lion but it's tied to my apple ID, so what would I have to do to be able to let the buyer use the MBP for himself, without being bothered by my Apple ID? I'm so confused.

Ryukouki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Doing a clean install of mountain lion would erase all your data.
That part isn't my concern. What I AM concerned about is if the buyer can't update due to Mountain Lion being held on my Apple ID. I don't want that to happen. Do I reinstall Lion via Recovery HD? will it be tied into my apple ID still or will it not ask that since it's part of the hardware?

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Your Apple ID is part of your data. Simply by wiping the drive the association is erased.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Do I reinstall Lion via Recovery HD? will it be tied into my apple ID still or will it not ask that since it's part of the hardware?
Yes, just boot from the recovery partition and reinstall the OS. Your Apple ID isn't saved anywhere on that recovery partition.

Ryukouki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Yes, just boot from the recovery partition and reinstall the OS. Your Apple ID isn't saved anywhere on that recovery partition.
So if I did this with Mountain Lion from a USB stick even though preinstall was Lion.. still legal?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
So if I did this with Mountain Lion from a USB stick even though preinstall was Lion.. still legal?
No, you own the license to use Mountain Lion on your computer. If you put it on someone else's computer you're breaking the terms of your EULA.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Can someone please explain this bc randomly, the MAS wants to lock iLife '11 to my account, not the computer that I am thinking of selling. So the new user would not get iLife '11 if it is connected to my login and password?

Ryukouki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I actually just emailed apple and they said whatever happens bottom line they will fix everything. :)