Macbook OS X Leopard on Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by michael.lauden, Feb 22, 2009.

1. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

hey everyone!

just wanted to run this scenario by everyone.

i own a late 08' macbook unibody, running OS X Leopard and i recently acquired a Mac Mini (intel duo core series) which is currently running Tiger.

If i were to create a partition on the mac mini, and run Super Duper, or Carbon Copy Cloner, etc. and create a bootable backup on the mac mini...

would it be able to run it?

from my understanding there may be some issues with either the kexts?

your thoughts?

thanks again! mac rumors is awesome!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Restore disks are machine specific. Please search. Buy the software. Please don't be cheap.

3. michael.lauden thread starter macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

not a restore disc

it's not a restore disc. please read the whole post before you go around bashing people :(

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

SuperDuper! and CCC will happily clone to any mounted drive, including a partition on another machine shared across the network. If both are Intel based then I would expect the backup to boot on the Mini. Otherwise booting the Mini into Target Disk Mode (whilst connected to the Macbook) would allow the Macbook to boot off the partition on the Mini...

5. michael.lauden thread starter macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

sweet!

very cool! i will go through the clone process tomorrow and let everyone know. i just would hate to purchase leopard when snow leopard COULD come out this year haha

wish me luck! :)

6. michael.lauden thread starter macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

hey just as an update, i had trouble creating a partition w/o formatting the entire drive. i do not have a copy of tiger, so if this scenario didn't work out - i'd pretty much 'brick' the mac mini.

anyone else out there have any suggestions?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

External drive?

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

If you don't mind nuking the contents of the Mini then you could just install Leopard from scratch...

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Put the macbook in target disk mode, then boot the mini off the macbook. If that works then you know cloning it will work as well.

10. michael.lauden thread starter macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i will try the target disc mode and keep you posted.

the dilemma here is i don't have a Leopard install disc that is hardware specific to my macbook. and i'm not about to buy a copy when Snow Leopard is right around the corner.

I can boot up from the disc, into Leopard on the mini. if that makes a difference.

i will keep everyone posted - i just got a busy week ahead of me!

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

It sounds to me like you are breaking the EULA. If you want to run Leopard on the mini follow the rules and buy a copy. Installing from the MacBook is against the EULA and in my opinion stealing it. Argue what you want, the OSx Leopard on the macbook is for the macbook. It is NOT for you to install by cloning or restore disk on another system. Whether it will work is not the point. Arguing that Snow Leopard will be out soon is just excusing stealing.

12. michael.lauden thread starter macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i didn't say i wasn't doing something illegal.

i was asking if it was possible. i understand that it is wrong. thanks for your input.

also this isn't using restore discs. i don't know why that keeps being brought up.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

Restore disk or cloning via another system is the same thing; it is stealing a copy of Leopard. People try all kinds of justifications, excuses, illogic, and strange arguments to get around the EULA. Some people say you can install Leopard or any version of OSx on any computer as long as you put an apple sticker on it, which is silly.

Apple isn't going to come after individuals doing it though.

"i didn't say i wasn't doing somethign illegal"? remove the double negative and you have " I say I was doing something illegal." sheesh.

14. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

Unless I've missed something too, it keeps being brought up because what you're talking about is effectively using the macbook-specific build of Leopard that came with the machine pre-installed on another machine, which is not keeping to Apple's license. The build of Leopard that came on the Macbook is the same thing as what is on the restore discs. So while you are talking about cloning the Macbook, it's really not very different from installing your restore discs onto the mini (or an other mac). The only difference would be you've updated Leopard since and added your own apps and files. Otherwise it is pretty much the same thing as using the one-machine licensed restore discs. That is why it keeps being brought up.

I think it probably will work as they are similar machines and I personally doubt Apple really changes very much about the OS for the restore discs, but personally I wouldn't bother, Tiger is pretty capable and Snow Leopard shouldn't be too far off, just buy a family pack of SL when it comes out is my advice.

15. Turmoil macrumors regular

You'll have a hard time getting anyone to help you with this. You should buy a copy or ask at a more pirate friendly forum.

16. michael.lauden thread starter macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

dude. CHILL OUT i haven't said any excuses and i have previously acknowledged that it isn't legal. and YES i purposely used a double negative.

i didn't SAY that i was trying to do this in a legal form - nor did i ask if it was legal.

I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS LEGAL

this isn't a question of legality. if you are so concerned call apple and tell on me. obviously pirating is a big deal to you

thanks for all the help old-wiz.