Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a MacBook Pro (see signature below) that has both Windows 7 x64 and OS X Lion 10.7.3. IE9 loads websites so quickly, and seems to beat Safari by at least 1.5X. I just clean installed OS X, and the only stuff on there is Apple software. I remember the days when OS X browsing was faster than that on Windows... Where have those days gone?

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I've isolated the problem to Javascript. When disabled, Safari easily beats IE9. I blame Apple for forcing Safari to use an Apple-proprietary version of Java.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Jesus Christ this browser is laggy. Posted from Google Chrome.
Uhhh I use Chrome for personal and business, and even right now have two browsers open with about 15 tabs open total. No lag here, no idea what your talking about it being laggy, and I'm streaming a webinar right now.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I've isolated the problem to Javascript. When disabled, Safari easily beats IE9. I blame Apple for forcing Safari to use an Apple-proprietary version of Java.

You do realize that Java and Javascript are 2 different things, right?

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Your posts make no sense, even on this forum and others poll's show Chrome being the go-to browser on Mac's. Why would all these people use a laggy browser :rolleyes: . Nevermind that almost every test shows Chrome to be the fastest and smoothest and stable.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
When I read IE9 loading websites faster than Safari, I think something is definitely wrong... by a long mile.

That aside, Windows actually has worse battery life than OSX on any given MacBook Pro. Not sure how you are coping with that.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Anecdotal evidence aside, sites like http://www.tomshardware.com do full testing of all the browsers on a regular basis.

So let's take an objective look at the truth

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/macbook-air-chrome-16-firefox-9-benchmark,3108.html

Despite the best efforts of Google, Mozilla, and Opera, Apple Safari retains its OS X Web Browser Grand Prix crown. With a staggering number of wins and an equally impressive lack of weaknesses, Safari 5.1.2 simply owns on its native platform.

The OS X runner-up, on the other hand, is highly debatable. We're going call it in favor of incumbent number two, Google Chrome. Firefox 9 really pulled ahead from the last-place finish it received back in August, though.

The red bars that occasionally appear in our charts denote when an OS X-based browser beats all of the Windows 7-based competition. We use the word occasionally because we only had to switch the Mac OS X green bars to red four times. That's four out of 35 eligible charts, as opposed to the 10 out of 29 OS X earned on the Hackintosh system we used in Web Browser Grand Prix VI: Firefox 6, Chrome 13, Mac OS X Lion. While many Mac fans expected to see OS X really hammer Windows 7 on a genuine Mac, the home court advantage didn't do Apple any favors.

So, Redmond wins yet another Mac versus PC Web Browser Grand Prix, this time on a mobile system (and a brand new Core i7-based MacBook, to boot). Ouch.

Using IE9 on my Mas computer in bootcamp is ok, but not great. However, using it on my client-supplied Vaio laptop with 4 GB of RAM and Sandy Bridge dual core i5 is just painful. It could be due to all of the enterprise crud installed on it, but I see the "Not responding" more often than one should. In fact, I don't think I've ever managed to just close it without it going to not responding and then Windows offering to find a solution after I've terminated it. I am not sure why this happens, but I don't care either since I only have to use it for one or two IE only work related things.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
When I read IE9 loading websites faster than Safari, I think something is definitely wrong... by a long mile.

That aside, Windows actually has worse battery life than OSX on any given MacBook Pro. Not sure how you are coping with that.

It depends what you're doing for battery life. I find it equal on both OS on my MBP.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
It depends what you're doing for battery life. I find it equal on both OS on my MBP.

I browse the web, run Adobe Creative Suite, and AutoCAD on both.

Additionally, on the Mac side, I also run XCode and Flash Builder (for my job) more often. So that said, my MBP is bombarded with Flash contents and OpenGL ES debug apps almost hourly on the Mac side.

Just with that, battery life under Mac OSX has always been consistently 5 - 7 hours for my MBP, but I struggle to even get 4 hours of usable browsing time under Windows 7 in Bootcamp.

If it wasn't for the fact that AutoCAD under Mac still has a number of undesirable bugs, I would stick with OSX most of the time now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.