MacBook over a Dell Studio?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ryuukumori, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Comparing these two models, as I will be needing something to this power in the near future (spec-wise).

Now, I know for certain I can get better specs on the Dell Studio as I can the MacBook for the price of the MacBook. Plus, there are more ports (vga, firewire, etc) on the Dell over the MacBook.

But, the MacBook's reliability and design rule over the Dell. How can I easily justify these small benefits over the Dell?

To refrain from any confusion, the OS does not matter to me. Windows or Mac, I like them both, and will run Windows either way, whether it's preloaded or I have to Boot-Camp it.

Help me justify, as a guy who just got accepted into college and is excited on the indulgence of the best excuse to buy a notebook. :)

2. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

Macbook. Portability. Pwnsomeness. 'Nuff said.
    It will help you make friends :p. JK

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Buy whatever fits your needs the best.

If you need the extra ports the Dell offers, then get it.

4. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Might as well indulge yourself a bit. The Dell is a workhorse that will probably bore you to tears. The Apple will be new, fresh, and interesting. If you can afford it, why not chose the option that will give you some fun?

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

unless there is something that you absolutely need that has firewire get the macbook. and tubbymac is right its way cooler looking. can you say chick magnet. :p

6. KiD.DeeN macrumors newbie

umm,
    you do know that you're asking this question on a mac forum, right? xP

7. timmciglobal macrumors member

As someone who came from an asus with every port known to man here is the basic question:

Are you going to be into gaming?

If you need high end gaming you need to either get a macbook pro or a windows PC with a good integrated graphics.

The macbook plays WoW ok but not great for example but your not gonna be playing bioshock realistically. I don't feel 20 fps is gaming esp when you lag/have screen ripping.

If on the other hand your looking for a PC for media, office stuff, web browsing, photo/video editing, light gaming then a macbook with bootcamp is a PC "plus a mac for free" vs a dell.

Tim

8. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

No matter which I choose, I will buy in July, right after the Snow Leopard release, so it will par up with a MacBook refresh and the new Dell Studio 1555.

No, I will not be gaming, that will be on consoles and a future Core i7 machine I will build maybe next year.

But as for the computer, Mac seems alright, but I want something that can handle video rendering well and recording audio with electric guitar with firewire. Unless USB is better, let me know. I might make a transition to PCI express later on the Core i7 plan to record, but something on the go would be sweet.

Coming from this forum (any typical MacBook user), do you see yourself taking advantage of all the ports? Maybe I am hyperventilating over the concerns for a need for more ports.

(And yes I do know I am saying this on a Mac forum, but opinions are always wanted, and I stated clearly the comparisons I am making in the original post.)

Thanks again to any avid Mac user.

9. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Do yourself a favor and buy the Dell. You will get more for less money. The cool factor for the Macbook will wear off rather quickly and may leave you feeling like you wasted money on the hype. Seriously... They both run email and browser software equally well, you would end up installing MS Office on your Macbook anyway, and neither machine will make you type faster.

Cheers. :)

10. acurafan macrumors 6502a

what he said. don't buy the macbook just b/c it looks good - buy it b/c it will accomplish what you need to do.

11. Jaredistheman macrumors member

Best response so far. ;) Go dell with a protection plan bro!

12. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, I am really surprised to see such enthusiasm on both sides rather than "all Mac." Very interesting.

I will still do research. Taking any and all opinions. Thanks.

13. schreck macrumors regular

Although I understand that you'd be waiting to purchase the studio, I do some tech work and have seen MANY brand new Dell Studios with driver issues out of the box- blue screens irql not less or equal. Personally, I think they're pretty poorly made based purely off of my personal experience with them.

That said- choose based on OS.

14. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Actually, that is quite debatable :p first off, MS Office sucks on Mac so he shouldn't install it if he gets a Mac. Second, ever since I got my MacBook with these new keyboards (I forget what they call them) I have been able to write faster and with less mistakes than on all other laptops with normal keyboards.

15. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Okay I just reread your post. For some reason the first time I read it the sentence with the OS didn't matter stuck out and I completely missed the line about you intending to run Windows on the Macbook. If you don't intend on running OSX, don't get the Macbook. It's awesome with OSX but under bootcamp the battery life sucks (2 hours) and the trackpad is wonky. If you want to run Windows just stick with a Windows machine.

If you google for Dell Studio DPC Latency you'll eventually come across a post of mine I made in another forum. I had a Dell Studio 1537 for a few weeks before I returned it. I was looking into audio recording over the firewire port. A few other audio junkies and I tried everything we could to get the machine to record audio without lag/stutter/skips and failed. The Dell Studio and the new XPS notebook line have some hardware or bios problem that they need to fix before it can be used as an audio recording machine.

It's a decent (but boring) machine for everything else. But for audio recording it sucks due to the dpc latency spikes. Google is your friend here.

16. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

ABSOLUTELY, HANDS DOWN, NO QUESTION go with the MacBook. Here's why:

A couple of months ago I decided it was time for a new laptop. My Dell Inspiron was on it's last legs. Naturally I decided to go with Dell again since my Inspiron was 5 years old and it lasted me through college without any problems and it still runs decently.

I ordered a Dell Studio 15. It came in the mail and I was...well...not happy. The build quality was the worst I've ever seen on a laptop, it felt cheap in my hands, creaking and cracking. It seemed to be made out of the type of plastic that dollar store toys are made out of. To top it off, the speakers were busted. Oh, and I wasn't happy with Vista at all. It was slow and buggy. I called for an RMA and sent it back. I decided to create a whole new order give the Studio 15 a second chance.

Weeks later my 2nd Studio came in the mail. This one was even worse. Build quality was the same as the first - cheap feeling, squeaky noises coming from the plastic, etc. There were a couple of new faults this time, too. The keys would pop off as I was typing. This would happen every 5-6 minutes. Also, the CD drive and eject button were completely malfunctioning. The computer would randomly try to eject a disc even though there was nothing in the drive. Then the eject touch button would light up and stay that way, completely freezing the rest of the touch panel.

What I learned was that Dell's quality control has majorly slipped in the last few years. I couldn't believe they were selling laptops in this state to consumers. Maybe I got 2 bad lemons, but Dell left a bad taste in my mouth. I also had to go through hell and back with their customer service people. That's a whole other issue in itself. There's also b.s. they put you through to get your machine fixed if it ever breaks. Their warranties are a rip off and there's still a lot they don't cover. You get like 5 or 6 confusing warranty options when you build your computer so you're not on a level playing field with other Dell users. With Mac you buy the AppleCare and it's straight forward and up front - this is what you get and this is what's covered, along with everyone else who purchases AppleCare.

I bought my MacBook a week after returning my second Dell. It was the best thing I've ever done. I always heard the saying "Once you go Mac you never go back" and thought it'd never apply to me. I swore I'd never be a Mac user but Dell frustrated me so much that I made the leap. I'll never go back to being a PC user. Macs have the build quality that I look for in a machine and great customer service to top it off. Buy the Mac.

Oh, and sorry for the long post - clearly I'm feeling pretty passionate about my choice! Haha :)

17. Cmu93 macrumors member

I can add a bit of insight as I have become "that guy" that people hate, you know, "buy, return, buy, return"...

I had a MBP last year, and I too felt I spent too much money on it, I loved Leopard and everything was so new. (I'm at Windows IT Manager for 13 years). But, I decided to spend less and get a Dell. So, sold the MBP, got a XPS 1530, kept that for 2 weeks, sold it. I simply couldn't understand why I wanted to go back to a standard PC again. I have a work Thinkpad anyway.

I then bought an iMac, figured that was the best deal, but I again, made a mistake, I wanted this on the road with me, at work, to my clients, etc... so, that was sold. I then decided the best way to go is just get a Studio 15 and put OSX on there for the fun stuff. Well, as stated by another poster, I too was not impressed with the Studio 15 at all. It had plenty of issues as well, and that was returned. I was determined to get a Windows PC because of the money savings... well, I bought the flagship, the XPS 16, and man, it was a beautiful laptop, but again, Dell quality issues came up... and the fact that it got about 100 degress just sitting there, was an issue.

I bit the bullet, I told myself, and my 8 year old daughter also told me... "Dad, just get the Mac again"... and she was right. I spend the money and got the UMB 2.4 and could not be happier. When I get friends of mine and co-workers telling me "I got a system32 missing error of startup, is that bad?", or any of the other issues I've dealt with over the last 13 years on Windows, I was so happy to be in Leopard again. Turn it on, get a few updates, done.

My XPS, turn it on, get about 55 Vista updates, malware protection, 2 firewalls and antivirus software. Now, I'm not bashing Windows, I live it 50 hours a week for my career... but there is something to be said about how nice the Mac OS is.

Lastly, I kept going to Dell and HP laptops for all the ports as well, but really, I don't care. I can hook this up to my 50" HDTV with Displayport to HDMI, I can hook a tiny 4 plug USB on it, I even have a $6.00 memory card reader for my AVCHD content from the Canon HD, yes, iMovie 09 and FCE works great on here with HD content. So basically, the ports are not all there, but they are in my backpack when I need them. The minimal look and sturdy design is perfect. And yes, bootcamp/VM Windows if you must.

Now, that being said, if you're simply going to use Windows only on here, like you mentioned... then I can't see why you'd want to spend twice as much... but that's your call.

Just my 2 cents... and from someone doing this for so long, and having over 5 different PC/Laptops in 13 months, I have a good base to expound from...

Tom

18. nplima macrumors 6502a

sometimes I read these posts and start wondering where in the world is it that these people live, where there are only Macs and Dells?
    Aren't there HP/Compaq, Samsung, LG, Packard Bell, Asus, Sony, Lenovo and even white brand laptops where you live?

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

HP is nice, but Compaq is total crap. Samsung should stick with making components and TVs. LG should perish/. Who the hell buys Packard Bell these days. Asus is good, but some computers are no customizable. Sony is just overpriced—sometimes good, but still expensive. Lenovo is the best, but only if you buy a Thinkpad; then if you buy a Thinkpad, you won't be saving much.

The conclusion is buy the Mac. Dells are fine BTW; good value and do-able support.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Maybe you should take a look at Packard Bell overseas first.

Why the lack of commitment to a computer and purchasing antics? I've seen users her sell off a Macbook Pro and buy a Macbook because they bought "too much" computer. What's up with that? :confused:

21. Cmu93 macrumors member

I'm simply providing background, I feel no need to explain my thoughts anymore then I have. Just thought I'd offer the OP a informed opinion, that's all :)

22. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I have actually come from a line of multiple computers. When I was very young, my family owned an old Mac. We transitioned to an IBM (back then, 400 MHZ CPU). I have adopted PCs from then on-out, forgetting Mac altogether. I have owned (and still have) an old Compaq desktop, HP Pavilion, and a custom rig. However, I have never owned a notebook, letalone time enough to use one for long periods of time.

Considering Mac again is for my college need to have reliability and enough functionality (ports, maybe?). Thus, my main concern about this thread was if I should go for the Dell 1555 in July (never owned before) for the ports and somewhat better specs, or jump in the deep end with a MacBook (refresh in July + Snow Leopard), risking port functionality and less-appealing specs comparing to the Dell.

I am really leaning toward Mac. Need a new taste (both OS and design), while I will be running Windows. I might slowly deter from it later, I see it a necessity for some stuff. ;)

Please continue with comments and opinions. Thank you.

23. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

wait so your just gona install windows on it and not use Leopard?

24. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I will use Snow Leopard (that's when I plan to buy), right when the new OS ships with all Macs. Just use Windows a lot (maybe more often, but I have no clue.)

25. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I can't vouch for Mac since I havent owned one.

I can speak about the Dells. The Studio is a decent computer for the price.
    I have a XPS 1530 and my son has the xps1730. In the past all my laptops have been dell. the oldest being 9 years old and still running, use it for the home theater calibrationand settings.

Dell's support has vastly improved the past 2 years.

they have different warranties for the buyer to choose from.
    All my laptops get the accidental care. Whether you drop it, spill something on it, or it ends up in the snow it's covered, up to 4 years. (I don't think Apple care provides that warranty).
    When you purchase the warranty Dell arranges for a tech to fix it. If the user can replace it the part will take 3 or less days to arrive. I have had a tech meet me at my work to replace a dead screen. Other times at my house.

I use gotapex.com (I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THEM) to see what the latest and greated deals are. They also on occassion sneak in deals on Macs.

If you purchase a dell, I would recommend not going with the integrated graphics card, go with the indepented video card.

Either way, good luck in your purchase.

Just a side note, the people returning them didn't seem to have a problem sending them back.

I am not a fan of Vista but SP1 has been pretty reliable for the both of our new computers.

good luck