macbook over heats when connected to an external display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sam235, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

hello guys, my mbp 15'' 2.2hgz i7 over heats when i connect it to an external display and close the lid is this normal? it reaches around 160-170 f just when browsing the web? any ideas thanks a lot :D

2. Alexjones macrumors 6502

It works ok for me. If clamshell mode bothers you, Try open shell mode..With your cover open, Go to display preferences, Arrangements and drag the top of toolbar to your HDTV display, Then dim your MBP display to its lowest setting. Your MBP will be open and have plenty of ventilation and you will have a full image on your HDTV.

3. lfshammu macrumors member

that's not overheating. thats only 76 degrees C. start worrying at 90-100 degrees C.

Even when the Display is dimmed all the way, its still on, which means the gpu is still driving two displays.

4. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Yeah, these MBPs get hot quite easily, and 76ºC is nothing to worry about.

5. dsio macrumors regular

^This, 76 is not overheating in the slightest.

6. wegster macrumors 6502

Same here, at reasonably idle mine sits around 75*C CPU, 66*C GPU, palm rest 30*C, connected to an external 24" IPS display. I'm not "thrilled" by those temps, as it means in general the fans rarely spin back down to 2k rpm, but the laptop sits elevated on a laptop stand with the back raised up further. I do routinely see over 90*C when cpu usage goes up, but at least the fans do kick in properly.

Chrome with a dozen or more tabs open, safari as well, a currently mostly idle VM, eclipse, skype, a vnc client, a few PDFs opened and some terminals - basically, using a good chunk of RAM (around 6-7GB out of 8 currently), but CPU idle around 90% currently for those temps.

When the CPU is loaded building software over a period of time, fans kick in to max, and it generally stabilizes at somewhere between 88-92*C. You can check your own using CPUTest - set it to unlimited repetitions, and set the instances to the number of cores + hyperthreads supported by your particular machine, e.g. 8 for the quad core i7s. Let it run for at least 5 minutes, ideally 30+ minutes, and it should give a realistic indication of what your system will run at when fully loaded for a period of time.