macbook overcharge battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fms714, Jan 5, 2010.

1. fms714 macrumors newbie

I have heard not to overcharge the battery and to unplug the power cord when it is charged, but I have always kept the cord on while I could and my battery lasted five years. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on the battery cycles versus overcharging question.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Macbook battery doesn't overcharge, you can leave it plugged in as long as you want, and you shouldn't worry about your battery lasting 5 years because you can just get a new one if it starts to go south.

Use your computer instead of worrying about the battery.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

For further reading: http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Btw, if you charge your battery and wait till it's full, then remove the power plug, run the Mac via battery until its empty so that you have to charge again until the battery is full then remove the power plug, run the Mac via battery until its empty so that you have to charge again until the battery is full then remove the power plug, run the Mac via battery until its empty so that you have to charge again until the battery is full then remove the power plug, run the Mac via battery until its empty so that you have to charge again until the battery is full then remove the power plug, run the Mac via battery until its empty so that you have to charge again until the battery is full .....
    Then your battery would only last for some months*.

* Average use of computer of 6 hours per day, one battery charge being able to hold for 3-5 hours and Apple's advertisement of 1000 battery cycles could get you a battery life of 666 days though. Hmm.

4. copykris Suspended

copykris

i can tell you this much:

life got so much easier after i decided to throw all battery monitoring apps off of my laptop...