MAcbook Overheating?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by beanisme, Jul 7, 2008.

1. beanisme macrumors newbie

i'm using a macbook and sometimes i leave the laptop on overnight. will the laptop overheat? my room is not air-coned.

Also, is there any applications to prevent overheating ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The MacBook and MacBook Pro have built-in fans and will prevent overheating in most circumstances.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

If you had an older model, like a first generation one, I'd worry a little, because those had issues with too much thermal paste, thus making them ineffciant at cooling.

If it's newer you're probably fine. If you're extra paranoid, you could always get one of those cooling pads that plug into your USB ports and have fans on them.

While there are no programs to prevent it, you can get iStat Pro which will let you monitor your temperatures.

4. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Personally, I would not let the MacBook on without supervision at night. I have had mine (current model) waking up from sleep mode at during the night. And sometimes you can have a process that starts taking over 100% CPU usage out of the blues and needs to be killed.

I use Mac OS X everyday, but so far I feel more comfortable leaving a Windows PC on 24/7 than a MacBook.

That's just me. I have had the newer model for a month only, and still "testing" it. Prior to this one, I had the first generation MacBook (2006). Others may have better luck than I do.

I would love to get my hands over an iMac. I see less complaints for iMacs than for MacBooks.

5. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

99% of the time, you'll be just fine. I still don't recommend leaving it on ALL the time, but if you need to from time to time, go for it. You can use something like Cronnix to shut your MB off at a given time, or you could run SMCfancontrol to make sure that your mac's fans run and thus keep you cool. Hope it helps.

6. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I should stop scaring people, and see life on the brighter side :cool:

7. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

If you need to leave it on (as you need to do some processing or downloading a large or lot of stuff) It should be fine. I tend to dim the screen down to the bottom level as not to wast power/head to illuminating the display. It is best to leave in on a hard flat surface. Or on one of those devices that lift up your laptop. That way you get more air flow.

8. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I use a notebook stand, and noticed that the MB is a bit cooler than when I use it on the desk.

--
    Patrick

9. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish