MacBook overheats after RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ace4994, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ace4994 Guest

Hi all. Today I upgraded the stock 2GB of RAM in my unibody 2009 MacBook to 8GB of Corsair RAM. (yes, I know only 4GB is officially supported by Apple, but the OS reports 7.75 in use). The RAM had excellent reviews on Amazon from many people saying that it worked excellent in MacBooks and MacBook Pro's, so the RAM should be compatible. Everything works excellent, and the performance is definitely faster, however, my Macbook is now reaching temperatures of 145-160 degrees Fahrenheit almost idle, and in conditions my old setup had the temp of around 106-115. I now have to keep my fan running at about 4000 RPMs just to maintain a CPU temp of 150. Also, my battery life is being killed; I am down about 10% just writing this message.

My question is this: is it more likely that my RAM is faulty (which users have reported in rare cases on Amazon), or that Apple does not support this amount of RAM because of these problems.
    Or, have I done something wrong on installation?

Thanks

Also, should I continue to use my MacBook during this period? My Mac reaches temps of around 200 easily when converting videos so I shouldn't think that the heat would kill it.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What happens when you put the original chips back in? Do the temps return to normal?

If you did something wrong during installation, you would know it, the computer wouldn't boot.

I've never heard of an overheating problem simply from a RAM upgrade. Did you change any other hardware too or install any new software?

3. ace4994 thread starter Guest

Thanks for the quick reply.

I hadn't heard of any such thing either, it was just a thought. I haven't replaced the chips, partly because I don't want to replace all of the screws again.

However, I did not do anything else, besides blow out some dust from the components. It was slightly dusty and I wonder if by doing so I could have blocked something/messed with the cooling system?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I guess it's possible something could have been blocked when cleaning it. Was it really dirty inside?

I know it sucks taking a laptop apart multiple times, but I think you should swap the chips out again in a process of elimination.

5. ace4994 thread starter Guest

Yes I agree it is an improbability, I'm just at a loss of explanations (which is rather rare for me).

And of course, I was just wondering if this was a "Of course you shouldn't have put that much, it'll overheat" (or something similar) situation.

I'll try that and get back.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, the amount of RAM is insignificant; either the computer will recognize and utilize all of it or it will only utilize some of it.

I guess it could be a bad chip that still functions but is drawing too much power or causing unnecessary strain on the CPU. I'd swap them out one by one to search for a bad one.

7. ace4994 thread starter Guest

After swapping out the RAM, the temp goes down and the battery estimation shoots back up.

I am assuming at this point I got a bad chip and would do well to do as you suggest and swap them out and try to figure out the bad one.

8. ace4994, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2011

ace4994 thread starter Guest

I have swaped out the RAM one at a time with one each of the stock RAM and it appears that they are either both fine or both damaged; they each apply about 50% of the effects that they do when combined. I guess at this point I am going to request a replacement from Amazon.

Is it possible that Mac OS is allocated too much CPU power with RAM or something? (I don't know if that is possible, haven't had much experience with CPU's).

Thanks

EDIT: Does anyone know how to limit the amount of RAM to be put to use?

Also, is 80% CPU idle normal while only using Safari?