Macbook overheats, freezes, fans start after restart

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m4a, Apr 18, 2018.

1. m4a macrumors newbie

m4a

Hi.

Macbook has started to freeze couple times a week and 2 times already today. Under light loads. It seems that fans stop working and it gets very hot and freezes. Then after a hard restart fans go full speed and Macbook goes back to normal temperature within couple mins.

Did reset SMC, but that didn't help.

Are there other things to try?

2017 Macbook Pro non touch bar.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use Activity Monitor to see what demands are being placed on your system. Could be a runaway app that you can kill.

3. jerryk macrumors 601

If it is still under warranty take it. Let Apple deal with it. Maybe they will just give you a new system.

4. m4a thread starter macrumors newbie

m4a

Ok, correction.

I did a proper test and it seems that it's just freezing without any demands what so ever. Last time it froze (today) CPU was at 86% Idle, RAM was just 40% used and temperature was 54 degrees above Celsius.

At this point I guess I can do just a fresh OS install and if the issues persist then take it in?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is it behaving that way consistently? If you take it to Apple, can you reproduce the problem for them? Or does it happen at random times? While it wouldn't hurt, it doesn't sound like a reinstall of macOS would help.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

If you're going to take it to apple, try to get a cell phone pic of Activity Monitor revealing the CPU load and temps -- just in case they can't reproduce that themselves...

7. m4a, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018

m4a thread starter macrumors newbie

m4a

I took pictures today. I thought that it happens because fans stop working and it overheats, but fans only stop working when it freezes, so although they have physically stopped I see that they were running at 2500 rpm just before freezing.

Random times. Sometimes twice a day, sometimes once a week. Recently at least once a day. I'll do a reinstall today.
    What makes me believe that reinstall might help is that once it freezes I can still move mouse for about 30 seconds to a minute. Then mouse freezes as well.