Macbook owner contemplating running 2 macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by i0Nic, Jun 19, 2007.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys, proud owner of an original 2.0ghz macbook here. I'm loving the portabiity of the thing, and plugging it into my cinema display for desktop use is nice.

However, in dual screen mode (display spanning), I'm noticing some stutter when having a number of apps open (or heaps of safari tabs), and especially things like dashboard can get quite slow - from the lack of dedicated graphics and 1gb ram i assume.

Also, it can get a bit annoying having to unplug the macbook every time I want to lug it with it me, especially since almost every port is used... leaving an un-elegant bundle of wires on the desk.

So with the news of an imac redesign, and the fact that I've always loved imacs and they are what drew me to Apple, I'm thinking of getting one and just using the macbook at Uni and around the house.

Some problems
    - I'm not a power user, it's hard for me to justify owning 2 computers.
    - Syncing: I really want to have my files synced, certainly my iCal, mail etc but also any documents I'm working on, some music (maybe the whole itunes library). Who has experience with this, is it annoying having to constantly sync files over? What's the best way, wifi file sharing?

The second reason is my biggest barrier to jumping on the multiple mac train. I can be a bit pedantic, and unless the whole syncing process is easy and streamlined I can't see myself being happy running 2 computers.

Another option I'm thinking is the macbook pro, but I dunno, I like the iMac dammit!

edit- Oh, I forgot to add that my macbook is turned on all the time, and a lot of the time not even in sleep mode (torrents etc), I'm worrying if this is putting too much strain on my poor macbook and this is another reason why I'm thinking of going the iMac/macbook route.

Stick with macbook? (it is certainly adequate for my needs)
    Get the iMac and go the desktop/portable combo?
    Or macbook pro?

Comments, Suggestions etc etc..

2. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I've been fighting the multi-computer syncing problem for awhile now. It makes it harder when one computer is a laptop, because then you can't simply set up a shared drive, since it's then inaccessible from remote locations.

The route I went with was a Linux server for file-sharing with FTP built in. It's not an elegant solution, but it works for me.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i'll have the same problem soon (i hope;) )

isn't there the "missing sync" applcation that would sync both macs?

my idea would be that i have two macs with 160GB hd's and i want both hd's to be exactly the same. at least the same apps installed and the home folder with all data should be identical.

would syncing via .mac do this?
    and would "missing sync" make that easier?
    and to what computer should i sync my cell phone/PDA?

seriously, apple should come up with a "standard way" of syncing computers (that would satisfy most users) and create a idiot proof concept and program to do that (including software updates and such).

4. seany916 macrumors 6502

just stick with what you've got.

upgrade earlier to a faster computer when you need to

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I use an app called Chronosync to keep my Documents folder the same on my multiple macs

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

that looks good for $30. does it allow to sync the iphoto library and itunes library?

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Mac-to-Mac Sync Options

I've been looking into this myself, as I recently acquired an iBook G4 (1.33GHz, 1.5GB RAM). I also have an Intel iMac (Jan '06).

Here's the best options I've found:

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but Synk Standard/Pro looks like the nicest UI, while SyncTogether seems to be the easiest and most straight-forward, and ChronoSync is the cheapest of the three.

8. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I'm the one who always suggest sticking to one mac. I have tried the desktop and laptop combo, but find it too tiresome to sync between the two all the time. No matter how easy the software is, you still have to sync the computers EVERY DAY. Sometimes (most of the time for me :eek:) you're just too lazy or tired at the end of the day to sync your computers. I would say go for the mbp and some sort of docking station. You already got a screen too, so just sell the mb and get the mbp. Don't spend money on a whole new machine when the current one already satisfies all your needs except for graphics, which is solved in the mbp.

9. Jessy macrumors regular

A good deal of RAM isn't that expensive anymore. The slowdown you mention will probably be helped by a RAM upgrade (you'll want to max it out with a 1 GB chip in each slot). If it's not, and it really is a GPU issue, which I doubt, then you still have a speedier MacBook. And if you sell that thing anyway, the RAM you buy will work in the MacBook Pro or current iMac (it will probably work in the soon-to-be revised iMac as well).

I recommend this site, but do whatever you want. Just do this before wasting any money you don't need to.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=262&type=Memory&TI=2741&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

10. kgmac macrumors newbie

im thinking of doing the same thing with an ibook g4 and an new redesigned imac. I dont no if ill be able to get it to work for me or not yet though...

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

While that isn't a bad idea, they don't make Docking Stations for MacBook/Pros do they?

It doesn't have to be a hassle, either. Get some good software that schedule syncing. Then just schedule it for like 12:00 AM... just plug in your laptop when you are home via Firewire (or just let it sync wirelessly). When you get up the next day everything will already be sync'd and ready to go.

12. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I had a MacBook and connected it to an external monitor. There was definitely a lag when the news screen saver went off. It was pretty choppy. I imagine this is because of the shared video ram.

I like having one computer with everything on it. I recently got a MacBook Pro and use that as my primary machine. I use the black MacBook for travel because I'd rather travel with a beat-up machine (lots of cracks, etc --- long story).

Anyway, I'd advise maybe selling the MacBook and upgrading to the Pro. This way, you'd have a really solid machine that is portable and works great with an external display (ie. no lag).

Mine is hooked up to a 23" LG widescreen and looks amazing.

13. seany916 macrumors 6502

Live with your current MB for as long as you can. It should do you fine for another year or two at least if you're not running pro apps. Then get the lowest end MBP (which you should've gotten in the first place).

Or, if you really can't stand the current situation, get a MBP (just mildly updated), transfer your files/info over to the new computer, then sell the MB.

14. tristan macrumors 6502a

Two macs? Stop the insanity. The whole idea of a portable mac is that you don't need a desktop.

Here's what you do, my friend. Sell your MB, get the 15" MBP (some great refurb deals out there on the older model), and a great external monitor like that HP 22" WS that's barely $300, and a wireless keyboard & mouse. You'll feel more powerful than Gordon Gecko after three lines of nose candy.

15. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Some do - http://www.bookendzdocks.com/