Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBilal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
I use a MacBook Pro .. which I've had for three years and just love ..

I don't really need another laptop .. but just want to buy the Macbook 12 Retina for the fun of it .. I love Apple notebooks .. it'll serve as a secondary notebook ..

here's a dumb-ass question: .. I play a lot of Facebook games .. (I know how sad am I) .. the games get my MBP's fans revving to max since they're in flash .. I'm wondering how the Macbook will handle flash games, since it doesn't have a fan .. any experience in this department from those of you who own a MacBook? .. I'm getting mine in Space Grey, next week, and can't wait! ..

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Sluggish.

I have a 1.2/512 Space Gray and I play FB Flash games. There is a lot of stuttering and the rMB gets hot. Definitely taxes the system.'

I've had some crashing with Candy Crush - something that never happened on my 7 year old MBP.

I installed AdBlockPlus and Click2Flash and when you're not using flash this computer is a dream. HTML5 on YouTube is incredible.

iBilal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
thanks for your input ..

i'm sort of disappointed .. :(

it won't be a deal breaker .. but it's a huge bummer ..

Sluggish.

I have a 1.2/512 Space Gray and I play FB Flash games. There is a lot of stuttering and the rMB gets hot. Definitely taxes the system.'

I've had some crashing with Candy Crush - something that never happened on my 7 year old MBP.

I installed AdBlockPlus and Click2Flash and when you're not using flash this computer is a dream. HTML5 on YouTube is incredible.

fatefulwhisper

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
I have the 1.2/512 rMB as well. I also can confirm that flash games on FB are very sluggish with dropped frames or lag when playing them. This happened to me the first 3 days of owning the laptop. Then a week later, playing the same exact 7 or 8 FB games I play periodically, the dropped frames/lag is completely gone--they all run completely smooth again, just like on my i7 Macbook Air. I did nothing different, but I can tell you that:

1. Filevalut Encryption was running in the background for the first two days
  2. Spotlight indexing was running the first day
  3. Somwhere along the line, I changed browsers from regular Chrome to Chrome Canary (beta version of Chrome)

So maybe a combination of all 3 of these had something to do with the speed boost? I know that Chrome Canary has fixed the UI/lag issues (as well as battery and optimization issues) that regular Chrome has.

iBilal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
odd .. perhaps the new notebook spends the first couple of days indexing everything and so forth .. so, now, a week later? .. you're able to run flash games just fine? ..

I have the 1.2/512 rMB as well. I also can confirm that flash games on FB are very sluggish with dropped frames or lag when playing them. This happened to me the first 3 days of owning the laptop. Then a week later, playing the same exact 7 or 8 FB games I play periodically, the dropped frames/lag is completely gone--they all run completely smooth again, just like on my i7 Macbook Air. I did nothing different, but I can tell you that:

1. Filevalut Encryption was running in the background for the first two days
  2. Spotlight indexing was running the first day
  3. Somwhere along the line, I changed browsers from regular Chrome to Chrome Canary (beta version of Chrome)

So maybe a combination of all 3 of these had something to do with the speed boost? I know that Chrome Canary has fixed the UI/lag issues (as well as battery and optimization issues) that regular Chrome has.

fatefulwhisper

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Flash is poison for Apple laptops with an M processor. :rolleyes:

I totally agree. I will tell you all a caveat w/ flash (on Chrome Canary at least), is that the CPU shot up to 290% (out of 400%), so flash will tax the CPU (although we already know this). However, I'm able to play flash games fine for hours on the rMB w/out any problems.

iBilal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
great to hear that ..

I'm definitely getting one, next week .. and can't wait ..

so excited!!!

I totally agree. I will tell you all a caveat w/ flash (on Chrome Canary at least), is that the CPU shot up to 290% (out of 400%), so flash will tax the CPU (although we already know this). However, I'm able to play flash games fine for hours on the rMB w/out any problems.

fatefulwhisper

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
As a bonus, I've made and uploaded a video of me playing candy crush on my rMB (on Chrome Canary): https://vid.me/BM3R

Candy crush isn't my game, so I suck at it. I created a fake facebook account so I could load the game fresh to see if it would run slower (I was wondering about caching and such). You can be the judge after watching the video. For me, it runs fine. For others, it may look like it is terribly laggy, so I dunno. Everyone has their own tolerance as what's acceptable or not. You may interpret it as you wish.

Last edited:

iBilal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
oh wow!

thanks so much for going through the trouble ..

I think the MacBook should handle FaceBook flash games just fine ..

that was a huge issue for me .. thanks again for going through the trouble ..

Bilal

As a bonus, I've made and uploaded a video of me playing candy crush on my rMB (on Chrome Canary): https://vid.me/BM3R

Candy crush isn't my game, so I suck at it. I created a fake facebook account so I could load the game fresh to see if it would run slower (I was wondering about caching and such). You can be the judge after watching the video. For me, it runs fine. For others, it may look like it is terribly laggy, so I dunno. Everyone has their own tolerance as what's acceptable or not. You may interpret it as you wish.

rahulr

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
North Carolina

I was going to suggest exactly This. Chrome canary works great, I just don't keep it running unless I need to access something that has flash.

But on another note, everyone remember the haters from years ago that said "the iphone/ipad will flop because they don't use flash", or "no CD drive, how can anyone make a laptop like that"? "Or 128gb HD only? Where are we going to keep our entire music collection".

I think people in a year or so will realize that laptops like the rMB are the future despite the lack of ports, processing power, and a non-traditional keyboard/trackpad.

iBilal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
I didn't know about "Google Canary" was a browser ..

I'm downloading it and will start using it ..

In the past, I've only used Chrome .. never ran Firefox or Safari or anything ..

Bilal

I was going to suggest exactly This. Chrome canary works great, I just don't keep it running unless I need to access something that has flash.

But on another note, everyone remember the haters from years ago that said "the iphone/ipad will flop because they don't use flash", or "no CD drive, how can anyone make a laptop like that"? "Or 128gb HD only? Where are we going to keep our entire music collection".

I think people in a year or so will realize that laptops like the rMB are the future despite the lack of ports, processing power, and a non-traditional keyboard/trackpad.

rahulr

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
North Carolina
I didn't know about "Google Canary" was a browser ..

I'm downloading it and will start using it ..

In the past, I've only used Chrome .. never ran Firefox or Safari or anything ..

Bilal
Hi! Canary is just the version of chrome that's in beta. It's crash-tastic but if you're just using it for flash, you shouldn't have issues.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010

or "how can a laptop only have a single USB port??

next time, Apple added more port in MBA....

depends on what part of Apple history you want to nickpick. Single port is a mistake, Apple tried it last time and didn't work so well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.