macbook palm rest edge is killing my wrists!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by blairh, Mar 31, 2008.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

hey guys,

so i'm on day 3 of my macbook. i'm a first time mac user, so i'm excited for my new blackbook 2.4 Ghz machine. but i've got a serious complaint and issue. this palm rest is killing my wrist. i use my macbook a lot in two situations: 1. it sits elevated on a metal shelf where i manage and play music, and in that situation, it's digging into my wrists and lower palms. 2. in bed, with the macbook on my lap. it's not really an issue during typing. but it most certainly is while scrolling using my trackpad, resting my hands down, etc.

getting a mouse is not an option. i want to be able to use my macbook in the two situations i mentioned. so what do you recommend? i really don't think this is something i'll "get used to". i googled "macbook palm rest" with hopes of finding some sort of device i could attach and detach. no dice.

it's killing me. i won't shave down the edge, as others have done. i also can't understand why apple decided to make the palm rest edge so sharp. it's crazy. this clearly should be a rounded edge to allow comfort.

please help! thanks.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

3. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

me my mo mushy

5. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Just wait till your palm rest cracks that will make you even happier...

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

8. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I understand your complaint. That sharp lower edge was my only displeasure with my 2.2 Blackbook that I got about 3 weeks ago. Today, it's not a problem for me at all, for 2 reasons: 1) I found at Staples and bought an Allsop Cool Channel Platform (http://www.allsop.com/home-office-tools/notebook-accessories/model-29591/cool-channel-platform/). It has a lower lip that wraps up almost to the top of that sharp lower edge, and that really helps with the problem. Plus, it just fits the Macbook and raises the keyboard and screen to a comfortable working position in your lap, and helps with any heat problems. And 2) I have actually gotten more used to the sharper edges of the Macbook case, and I never really think about it now. Others have said the same thing. Maybe they tend to wear down a little- I don't know. But try that Allsop platform when working with it in your lap.

9. Italchef macrumors 6502

I really don't understand your comment. Care to elaborate?

10. AlexanderTgreat macrumors member

He's referring to the fact that macbook top cases crack after limited use.

11. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

It took me awhile to get used to the sharp edges, but I just learned to adapt my typing style. It's worth it, for the awesome computer :)

12. Natsu macrumors member

Has anyone watch the movie Death Note or L change the world? type like L and you'll never have the same problem again lol