Macbook palm rest flex registering mouse click...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aznguyen316, Dec 4, 2008.

1. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I just recently noticed on my Macbook (black rev. C 2.1ghz) that there is some slight flex where the palms rest to the left and right of the trackpad. This isn't a big deal, but what made me notice this was the fact that pressing down enough on the palm rests (either side) actually registers a click with the mouse.

I noticed when I was typing and some reason the words would get highlighted. After awhile I tried pressing down on the palm rest area and it would show a click on the screen. Anyone else have this issue? It's not happening all the time and there's not major flex but it happens.

It's not a big deal, but a bit annoying so far when I'm typing and it would either click somewhere else or highlight the word and delete what I'm typing. As of now I just lifted my wrists off the rest (which I should be doing anyway). If it matters I also have the MacAlly microfiber/felt laid over the palm rest. Makes me wish I had a unibody! LOL

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Im not familiar with the dates of a "rev c" macbook but are you still within your AppleCare? You should have that looked at. It could get worse over time from flexing over and over again.

3. aznguyen316 thread starter macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Hey thanks for the input. It's a Sept. 2007 macbook and I did not extend applecare although I have 3years through CompUSA... Not sure if they would take care of this though. I didn't really think about making this a warranty issue. I guess I could ask about it since there's still a CompUSA in my area.

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea i'd for sure try to take the warranty route! You never know, they might take care of you!

5. mtslights macrumors newbie

Bulging Battery

In case anyone searches for a solution and finds this old thread, the problem for me turned out to be a bulging battery. The batteries can swell over time and start to press on the back of the trackpad.
    To test, remove your battery and run the MacBook off of just the power adapter and see if it still happens.

6. araphor macrumors newbie

araphor

Interesting. I got the same problem with the white MacBook. I'm going to try your suggestion to see if that's indeed the cause of it.

7. araphor macrumors newbie

araphor

And indeed it is. Time to give Apple a call.

I found more info about the bulging battery here: http://www.appledefects.com/?p=277

8. araphor macrumors newbie

araphor

I called Apple up, they advised me to replace the battery, so I did. No guarantee unfortunately since my MacBook is 1.5 years old and my battery had 400 cycles.

Anyways, I have replaced my battery and the problem seems gone.

9. noxtos macrumors member

noxtos

You saved my day. The dude from the Apple hotline told me I should have the keyboard replaced (which I've already done some time ago because of palm rest plastic cracks). Who would have thought of swelling batteries?

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

FACT: this is a known problem with the model and is caused by a swollen battery.

FACT: Apple replace them out of warranty for free NB. No Applecare Required

11. buzzrobotics macrumors newbie

Thank You!

I was really starting to get ticked at my mac for deleting what I was typing when I was chatting. Taking out the battery did the trick! Thank you soooo much!!