MACBOOK Part damaged (Pics inside)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by EVO9Nate, Mar 28, 2011.

1. EVO9Nate macrumors member

(MROOGLE POLICE STAY AWAY PLEASE!!!, ONLY helpful posts wanted. I have been searching this issue for a full week prior to posting….)

Problem:

Attached is a picture of the inside of a MACBOOK with the battery removed. I need to know what the piece is called underneath/below the middle ram module. It has the copper colored top with the grey square bottom with rounded edges.

Mine was ripped and I want to replace it if possible.

I have been searching to no avail… Please help!!!

-Nate

Attached Files:

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. EVO9Nate thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for responding and yes I did and I was unable to figure out what that piece is for. I know that now my daughters MACBOOK won't even come on after the tear occurred. I may just purchase an old broken MACBOOK and use it for parts. If no one is able to assist me further.

Thanks again for the productive response and for not being condescending like many others are. :)

-Nate

4. I3eXa macrumors 6502

is that your finger and you pointing to the issue or is it just a picture you found? If you mean the grey rounded-edge rectangular metal piece then I'm pretty sure it's the bottom of the trackpad and can be had with a new top piece only unless you disassemble a top piece from another macbook

5. EVO9Nate thread starter macrumors member

Wow two actual and considerate posts in a role. :cool: No that is not my finger, it was a picture that I found on the internet. The part that I am talking about is to the left of that. So you are saying that it is the bottom of the track pad and unless I disassemble a top piece from another macbook I will need a new one? Does that explain the fact that the MACBOOK will not turn on?

Thank you that gets the ball rolling for me because I had no idea what it was.

-Nate

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You're pointing at what appears to be a switch lever. It's probably there to keep the Mac from turning on sans batteries.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you've read the thread you'll find that the OP didn't take the picture and simply found it on the internet.

There's also not a switch lever that keeps the MacBook from turning on without "batteries" in it.

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If you are referring to the orange ribbon cable then no you don't need to buy the whole topcase. That part is the cable that electrically connects the topcase to the logicboard so if it is ripped then yes it will prevent the MacBook from turning on. The power switch is on the topcase and the cabling is part of that mangled orange "thing".

You will need to take the topcase off to change it. A quick search on "MacBook ribbon" on eBay.com produced this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Macbook-A1181-13-TrackPad-Touchpad-Ribbon-821-0409-A-/300534234578?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f93c7dd2

I am sure there are plenty more. The photo you showed is the early 2006 MacBook core duo machines. The later (late 2006 on) MacBooks use a thinner silver cable so make sure you get the correct one....

9. EVO9Nate thread starter macrumors member

logana, I want to personally thank you for solving my issue. I appreciate the straight forward response and assistance in solving this easy to fix yet difficult to figure out the name of parts problem. I will post in this thread after my Daughters MACBOOK is fixed.

Kind Regards and thanks again to all that helped.

To the MROOGLE Police sometimes it isn't helpful, this was one of the times.

-Nate