Macbook + PC laptop users. Help with connecting to LCD TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wie Gehts, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

Hello.

I have a macbook from late summer '07 and I just got me a pc laptop to mess with and see how the other half lives ;)

I also just today got an LCD tv.

First, on the pc. It has HDMI port, so I guess its that simple..hdmi laptop > hdmi tv, correct?
    However, if I simply want to play an avi movie, for example, do I just need to open it in the windows media player (or any other movie player available) and 'fill the screen' and watch it on the big tv...or is there something more to it than that?

Secondly, on the macbook.... I have the mini video adapter thing that I use to connect the macbook to an external 22" monitor.
    Obviously its not an hdmi port.....so how do I connect it to the tv?
    Is there some kind of other adapter I need?

Thanks

2. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

yes you can do this. some people choose to use media front ends like xbmc or boxee though. i use boxee on my pc and boxee/plex on my mac. i have never used windows media center.

you need a mini-displayport to hdmi adapter for your mac. i got mine for like $6 or something from monoprice.com. or i believe you can buy one from apple for like $500000.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

For the MacBook look here:

How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV

For the PC: Either you mirror the PC's desktop or you extend the primary display via the Graphic Preferences (where you set the resolution).

Any software video player will do.

4. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhhh, so there is an hdmi adapter for my macbook. thats perfect.

I see...just like the mac display prefs. thanks! :)