Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I'm planning to call Applecare sometime in the next couple days, I've put it off too long. Right now I'm reformatting (having backed up all of my info).

My MacBook's suffering from a number of issues.

First of all, there's a small peel developing on the right side.

Second, often the backlight will flicker. Especially noticeable when on medium brightness.

Third, sometimes it will not enter standby properly. I'll close the lid, and come back an hour later to find that the screen is dark but the fan is running, the laptop is extremely hot, and I can't get it to come out of standby. This has caused me a lot of trouble, as one time this happened when I took my laptop to an interview with a CEO where I was supposed to be taking notes and because it had been running in my bag the battery was too drained to last through the session.

Fourth, the battery is completely dead. The lights don't work, I can't charge it at all, and the moment I unplug the laptop it dies.

I'll see if any of these issues are fixed after I reformat and reinstall.

I bought the MB in September of 2006 and have 3 year AppleCare. How many of these issues will Apple support? Will they claim that the peeling is user damage or that the battery is not warrantied since they only cover them for a year?

Normally I'd just buy a new battery but at work we use Lenovo's and they've been having a defect where some batteries simply stop working and Lenovo usually replaces those even outside of the warranty period as they are defective and recalled.

Thanks for any comments.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Oh, I guess I should ask...I have upgraded my MacBook with 2 GB of RAM and a 160 GB hard drive, up from the stick 512 MB RAM and 60 GB hard drive. Will Apple use these upgrades as an excuse? Or, will I lose them if they send me a new machine?

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
First: It's a well known design flaw, whatever Apple say when you first mention it. I'm on my 3rd lower case and need a 4th, luckily my local authorised reseller is so aware of the problem he keeps the parts in stock and doesn't bat an eyelid when I've taken mine in. The case is usual replaced in a couple of hours from my experience.

Second: I've not experienced this.

Third: Yup, annoying, but my reseller and Apple cant figure out why. They acknowledge the problem, but haven't figured it out, and in my case haven't agreed to a new machine.

Fourth: They replaced the battery without question, I suspect it's another known issue.

rmb7984

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
You should definitely give them a call. My suspicion is that they will take care of most of your problems.

In terms of the memory and hard drive, it is my understanding that it does not void your warranty to upgrade those parts.

Also, I had a screen saver that was messing with my macbook's sleep. I actually figured out that one today - it wouldn't go to sleep when closing the cover or when it had been inactive for a while. I changed the screen saver and the problem when away.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Apple will cover all of it save possibly the battery.

You can just go online at Apple and make an appointment with the Apple store if you have one where you live.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
mine peeled and screen flicker theres something inside thats damaged like a connecter i have the same specs well didnt upgrade just the ram a bit it peeled and screen flicker as i said before and the bad part is i dont have apple care so phone them up as i can but itll cost me probably would anyone have a clue to how much it would cost to fix
???:confused:

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
mine peeled and screen flicker theres something inside thats damaged like a connecter i have the same specs well didnt upgrade just the ram a bit it peeled and screen flicker as i said before and the bad part is i dont have apple care so phone them up as i can but itll cost me probably would anyone have a clue to how much it would cost to fix

HUH????

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place

iIts gonna cost you probabaly $400+ to fix all that. If you can still get apple care, I would get it. Its well worth the price. Especially when dealing with Macbooks.

(note: use punctuation!)

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
iIts gonna cost you probabaly $400+ to fix all that. If you can still get apple care, I would get it. Its well worth the price. Especially when dealing with Macbooks.

(note: use punctuation!)

lol ok my friends call me tmac but yea i cant get apple care its been 2 years and never thought this would happen and not to mention the warntee is of bestbuys cause i bought it floor model at a very good price but i can get my self a top for like $80 if i can find the right version but how much just for the flicker? cause i can probably get a better rate or cheaper at this place called http://www.machelper.com all depends on the rates of apple? would u know there rates.

(p.s. My english exam is tommorw lmao)

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
I hope you paid for a good tutor, or can learn the phrase, " Do you want fries with that?"

funny yea i type fast and dont care to puncuate and go over it but i did in my essay for the first 3 parts, after school i dont like to think to hard or it'll hurt unless if i do homework of course but yea tommorws my last day hurray so. how long does it take replace the part in the screen to make the flicker stop?

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
Color make a diff?

Those photos in the original post are nearly heartbreaking:eek:

I'm wondering if there's any difference in the likelihood of this kind of problem between the white and black MB? No, I don't mean the color itself has an influence (?), but the finish materials are quite a bit different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.