MacBook Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jackal123uk, Oct 27, 2018.

1. jackal123uk macrumors member

How would the performance of the current (or even new) MacBook stack up against my current early 2011 13" MacBook Pro?

I was a bit more flush back in those days and maxed out the processor (2.7GHz i7-2620M) and put in 16Gig RAM and later an SSD, as such, updates in recent years didn't seem to be a significant leap in performance (to the base model at least), hence not making the move but since this is the first year it won't take the new macOS update I'm a little more tempted.

I must stress that the performance of my current MacBook Pro is still sufficient; I'm able to do all things I need to which is all the usual light stuff plus the occasional photoshop, AutoCAD, video transcoding and Xcode development. Although I must admit that build times in Xcode can drag on for larger projects but since this isn't my main work I can live with it. The only thing I do hit a brick wall with is 4K video but I've a 5K iMac for any heavy lifting.

I assume the current (2017) MacBooks are at least on a par with this performance? For reference my Geekbench scores are 3305 and 6341 for single and multi-cores respectively. This begs the question what are people trying to do with their machines with all the talk of how underpowered they are?

In any case, any advice on the performance of the current model (or speculation on the next) would be appreciated. I think I'd opt for the base CPU (not as flush as I once was) unless there's a persuasive reason but I don't think I could live with anything less than 16Gb in the memory department. I know this would currently be an upgrade of the base model but do we think the new one will keep the same 8Gb baseline?

2. LTENETWORK macrumors member

LTENETWORK

For me Macbook works perfect and no problem to get job done. I'm not looking benchmarks. And I'm not interested in it. Shortly Macbook is good. Sure I'll be glad to get MacBook Pro.

3. Hugorikrdo macrumors newbie

Hugorikrdo

I currently have the MacBook 12" 2017 i5 8Gb Ram 512 SSD it's been amazing! I use this machine while I'm outside in the world at home I have the iMac 27" 2017 16Gb Ram 1Tb Fusion drive as my main workstation.

8Gb Ram on the MacBook is sufficient for the use case but maybe 16gb Ram is the sweet spot! also, 512gb SSD on my iMac for better performance!

My Geekbech scores for the MacBook 12" are:

Single-Core Score

Multi-Core Score

4. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

The Geekbench 4 scores of the current 2017 12” MacBooks will be a bit higher but in terms of real world performance your 2.7GHz i7-2620M will be about the same or sometimes a bit faster, esp for sustained work since yours has a fan.

Cinebench R15 on your machine is ~280, which is slightly higher than all of the 12” MacBooks.

Going with a 12” MacBook means lighter weight, Retina screen, longer battery life, and fanless operation, but not a CPU performance increase. The PCIe SSD is nice though.