macbook performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dwd3885, Nov 9, 2007.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

so i just bought a late 2006 black macbook

core 2 duo 2ghz
    1gig ram
    120gb hard drive
    intel gma

I installed Leopard on it and it improved performance for me. But I still am feeling a little sluggish when I'm trying to do more than a few things.

I'll be importing photos in iphoto, have mail open, safari, itunes open usually. maybe another program-haven't installed CS3 Design Premium yet. And i experience a little sluggish performance (not at all what it was like in the MBP-that worked great,,,until i sold it!) That MBP had 1.5gigs ram and the dedicated graphics.

So I'm wondering if this sluggish performance/lag is due to the 1gig ram or the integrated graphics. I don't really have the money to upgrade to the latest edition macbook with x3100 graphics or even the MBP (1499 refurb now-great deal, but can't do it now) but i do have enough money to possibly upgrade the ram to 2gigs if that will fix this issue totally.

Thanks for any help!

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Not sure how much it will speed your computer up, but I would surely recommend having 2 gb of ram. 512mb is the minimum you need to run leopard, and more is recommended. Any time you are running more than one or two apps (safari can use a lot of ram) you may want more than 1gb to keep everything snappy.

3. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Up your ram and then report the progress, should help quite a bit.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i owned a nov 2006 macbook and found the performance to be a little sluggish, which was largely resolved by the addition of more ram. definitely give it a shot.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Agreed, more RAM (at least 1.5 gigs) and try to keep anywhere between 10-15 gb free space on the HDD, that'll speed things up a lot...

6. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yea I think I might just buy either a gig and go with 1.5. If I need more, I can always buy a 2gig stick when prices go down if they do, so I can max my RAM.

So the integrated graphics isn't the killer here? Obviously more RAM for integrated graphics makes sense, since the graphics is shared. But I don't game at all, so seems like integrated graphics isn't a big deal.