Macbook performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by paetrick, Oct 29, 2008.

1. paetrick macrumors regular

Hi there, I currently own a mac mini (which I've only used as a HTPC with PLEX before). But I've tried it out as a "real" computer for a couple of days now ,trying to learn Os x. The specs on the mac mini is 1GB/1.83 Ghz c2d.

I find it a bit "slow" and expose often lags when I got many windows open, I've a 2.66 ghz c2d on my PC and I find the mac mini much slower in general (which ofc is expected). But my question is: I'm really into the new macbooks, but is it really that fast? I mean, it's only has 127 mhz more than my mac mini , and it's way to "slow" for me, I like having many apps open at the same time without experience slowdowns (works on my pc but I kinda hate windows).

Is the macbook a good choice? (macbook pro is not an option for me).

Thaanks !!

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Your mini is actually pretty fast. You probably need more RAM in it!!

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I second the more ram option. Checkout ramjet.com. They guarantee their ram and have really good prices plus send installation instructions if you are not sure how to do the upgrade.

4. paetrick thread starter macrumors regular

But I often have 100-200MB of ram free when I look in istat

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I wouldn't say 1 GB of RAM is not enough, but you will definitely see a significant difference with 2 GB.

About the new Macbook, it's not just the CPU that's faster, it also has faster RAM (DDR3), faster system bus, dedicated GPU, and faster HDD. Adding all up, it's a HUGE difference in speed.

Correction: New GPU not dedicated (still integrated)

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It doesn't have a dedicated GPU. It is integrated like the last one. Better than the last one, but still integrated.

Oh and the new 2.0 is actually about 17% less powerfully (http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/10/macbook-and-macbook-pro-performance-october-2008/) than the same priced previous gen Macbook. Yes the new 2.0 will have an advantage when Snow Leopard comes out due to its better GPU, but no one knows how much better and I doubt it will be 17% better even with that advantage.

Regardless they are all good.

7. leman macrumors 604

I woudln't take a synthetic benchmark like geekbench too seriously. You are right when talking about pure CPU processing power, but the real word applications seldomly utilize the CPU so much. Other tests I have seen (don't remebmer the link) show that the difference between 2.0 and 2.4 macbook in real-world apps is 2-5%

Overall, a Macbook on default config is much faster then a Mini

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

True, but I compared it to the real world with my friends new 2.0 also and mine was clearly much faster (faster than 2-5%). Like I said with Snow Leopard that advantage will disappear some, but to what degree is debatable since we don't know everything about it.

My post was to show to the poster I quoted how wrong he was when he said the new Macbook has a dedicated GPU, which it doesn't and his contention the new one is A LOT faster then the previous one which is also clearly wrong.

This isn't to bash the new ones, but to set the record straight. I like the new ones and will most likely get one next year when some problems are fixed, Snow Leopard comes out, and maybe/hopefully Intel/Apple bring the new chip to the Macbook which will be a drastic increase in power over the current one.

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

No dedicated GPU - yes

If you re-read the whole thread again, we are looking at a comparison with the OP's Mac MINI here.

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I read it and I replied to the part you talked about the new Macbook.

11. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Let me spell it out for you...

The OP was considering the new MB, and wonder if the slightly faster CPU (compared to his/her mini) will make that much of a difference.

I was saying it's not just the CPU, but everything. All together it will make a big difference (compared to the mini). Don't forget your Santa Rosa blackbook has a fast bus too, better GPU and more RAM. So it too, is much faster than the mini.

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I don't have a Santa Rosa Blackbook. It is the Penryn one.

13. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Yes, you do. Apple introduced the 800MHz Santa Rosa chipset in late 2007, and then in additional, upgraded the CPU to Penryn in early 2008.
    http://lowendmac.com/macbook/macbook-santa-rosa-2008.html

Again, how was I wrong saying that the new Macbook is significantly faster than the 1.83 Mac mini?

14. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Nevermind. :rolleyes:

Just remember it is integrated graphics on the Macbook's and both integrated and dedicated on the new Macbook Pro's.

15. paetrick thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm interesting :D, thanks for the answers...

Why I ask is because I will use the macbook as my main computer _and_ as a on the go laptop. I'll probably sell my pc. But I would really like it to be fast as my PC but it's probably not very realistic, playing games / playing 1080p's chatting, youtube without any lagg at all...

I should probably get an iMac as I won't use the macbook outside the house _that_ often, but it's soo HOT ;), and a laptop is always good to have.