Macbook physically connected to modem, but need wifi for pc laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seanwes, Dec 18, 2008.

1. seanwes macrumors newbie

The current setup is a macbook physically connected to the cable modem, but i'm getting a pc laptop that i want wifi for. i was hoping i could just pick up a router to give the pc laptop wifi, and keep the macbook physically connected. is this possible, or do both have to be on the wifi if i'm going to be using a router?

2. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Why would you not want the MB on WiFi?

Nonetheless, you can do this without a router, just share your ethernet connection over WiFi on the MacBook, then the windows laptop can connect to your network over WiFi

3. seanwes thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm certainly not opposed to having it on wifi. i just thought it might be more difficult getting the mac and pc on the same wifi network. the macbook stays at the desk all the time anyway, that's why i wasn't concerned about it being on wifi.

so, i can share the internet with the pc laptop without a router? how do i do this?

4. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Cnet

To add on to that... CNET tells you how to do that:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/2001-1_53-50004434.html

Hope that helps!!

5. mpshay macrumors 6502

I saw the CNET podcast where they talked about using the Mac's built in wifi to share a broadband connect and it certainly works. However, Routers are so inexpensive that I would go ahead and pick one up. There is no problem having Macs & Windows PCs on the same wifi network. also, if the Macbook is always on the desk, go ahead and connect it to the router with Cat 5.

6. Slowstick macrumors 6502

I agree. Owning a router will make your life easier. Check ebay for a cheap wireless g outer.

7. seanwes thread starter macrumors newbie

that's awesome. thanks, i went ahead and picked up a wireless g.

i just wasn't very familiar with macs and pcs being on the same wireless network, i thought there might be issues. thanks for all the help!

8. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I set this up, but what does my other macbook have to do to connect to the network, it isn't just showing up in airport for him:confused:

9. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

nevermind! I just turned it off and on again and it started working! sweet!:D