MacBook Plastic Electric Shock

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iSamurai, May 2, 2009.

  1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

    iSamurai

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    Location:
    ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
    #1
    Hello all...

    I'm using my 1-and-a-half years old MacBook, it's a 2.2GHz with 4GB of RAM, yadayada.

    I started getting mild electric shocks which I ignored a while ago, thinking that it's not possible for it to leak current. But today I was using my Mac on my lap (I shouldn't do that anyway) and I got a strong, unpleasant shock of my life (haha da-da-dush) on my thigh (I'm in my shorts coz it's still very warm in Brisbane)...

    So I flipped my Macbook over (which was still working), and the only place I saw that can possibly conduct a current are the metal screws... I have treated my Macbook with great care and so it shouldn't be mishandling that caused it to leak electricity.

    I really dunno if there has been reported cases of similar stories... but just imagine if this happened on the new aluminium Macbooks :p
     
  2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

    Insulin Junkie

    Joined:
    May 5, 2008
    Location:
    Mainland Europe
    #2
    Sounds freaky. This is the first time I've heard of it happening on macbooks... I've seen that problem around a few times on the MBP's.
    One person claims the problem stopped occurring after he bought a new battery for his machine, others put it down to weather conditions. In any case, I'd check the electrical socket. Try charging your machine from another socket, and see if the problem persists. The socket may not be properly grounded. See if a surge protector works for you.
     
  3. SkyBell macrumors 604

    SkyBell

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    Texas, unfortunately.
    #3
    Are the MacBook batteries like the iBook batteries? (Too lazy to Google.) If so, I'd put my money on the metal lock on it. Shocks happen to me all the freaking time because of that.
     
  4. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2007
    Location:
    Nederland
    #4
    I got a big shock from my Aluminium MacBook once, still don't really know where that came from. Was standing on top of a CRT TV so maybe caught some stray current from that or something.
     

Share This Page