Macbook plastic enclosure partially broken

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacNIX, Apr 8, 2008.

1. MacNIX macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I have had my Macbook for 13 months and I am very happy with it. I take care when using it, opening or closing it, but I have this problem now: The plastic next to where the magnet closes the laptop has broken (see attached picture).

I am heading to the Apple store soon to see how much replacing this part costs, but I think this should not happen and will certainly play against Apple when purchasing a new laptop.

It's a pity, otherwise a great laptop.

Attached Files:

2. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Why don't you search the forums before you post? There are many threads about this problem. Apple is fixing it out of warranty. Even still, you should have bought Apple Care.

3. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Chalk another one up for the casing cracks Apple...

It's an extremely common problem on MacBook's, and Apple has been known to repair out of warranty machines for free. Call Apple first and see if they'll replace it for free. If they want to charge you, I would go on eBay and find the top casing for a MacBook and replace it myself. Would end up saving you a lot of $$$. Good luck.

4. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Why? When you pay substantial amounts of money for something you really don't expect it to literally start falling apart after year. Clearly with the faulty design of the MacBook enclosure, Apple should offer Applecare for free considering the frequency to which this appears to occuring.

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

If AppleCare doesn't pay for it, pick up one on eBay for cheap. Here's a used one for $25 bucks:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Macbook-13-Whit...yZ111422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$30:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MacBook-13-Top-...yZ111422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just search for "macbook top"

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

7. MacNIX thread starter macrumors newbie

That's right, I was too upset at that moment. But I thought it was not common, I see it is indeed.

In my opinion, this is a _defect_, and has nothing to do with AppleCare. Apple is responsible for it, if they care about their brand, and if they want me to buy another Mac in the future.

8. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Have you called Apple about this? Many have and have had the case parts replaced for free. However, I feel Apple needs to address this issue. Way too many people have this issue!

Even though they may be coming out with a new stainless steel and aluminum design, there will be many of us for years to come that will still have the plastic design. I only hope I don't have this issue with my recent black book as I really like it! Best of luck and let us know what the outcome is. ;)

9. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

You are right, it is a defect in workmanship and that is why Apple is fixing the problem out of warranty.
    However, if you are going to spend anywhere from $1100-$1500 on a MacBook, I for one, don't understand why you wouldn't spend and extra $200 for Apple Care. Many things can happen to a computer especially, a notebook.
    That, of course, is just my opinion. Hope you get your MacBook fixed!

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You shouldn't need to buy Apple care as insurance against defective hardware. Apple stuff is supposed to "just work", not just crack™.

It's this kind of stuff that makes Mac users look silly when talking out of both sides of their mouths...

Apple computers last longer! But Don't Forget to Buy Apple care! Macs Just Work! But the Three Year Warranty is Essential!

11. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

You don't need to buy Apple Care. No one forces you to buy it. I am just giving my opinion. I have owned two Mac computers in the past and several iPods.I have never had a problem with any of them at all. I have never had to call Apple Care for help or service. But, I feel laptops are different and more susceptible to "issues". I am in no way commenting on wether or not Macs just work. I am commenting on laptops, specifically MacBooks. I would never in a thousand years buy a Dell laptop but, if I did, I would get the warranty on that too.

12. Jpoon macrumors 6502

The only reason I'd get Apple Care was if it'd be cheaper buying that than fixing the problem myself.