MacBook (Plastic) hard drives are user-replaceable

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jaw04005, Dec 8, 2008.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

My plastic MacBook's hard drive failed. I called AppleCare and talked to a Level 1 Rep (after a less than 1 minute hold time). I mentioned that I would prefer to replace the hard drive myself because of the upcoming holidays and the fact that I didn't want to be without my notebook.

He said that he understood, but I would still have to bring the MacBook in to be checked and they could do the hard drive replacement on-site. I told him that I didn't have an Apple Store locally, I didn't want to take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider (there's only one and they're 30 minutes away), nor did I want him to send a box because of time.

He said that's all the could do. So I politely declined and hung up.

Two minutes later he called back and apologized for not knowing that the hard drive is a user-replaceable part.

We ordered the part. Needless to say my hard drive is on the way, and I thanked him for calling me back.

I must say I've never had a support rep. from any company call me back to admit they were wrong. So I'm a little taken back. I've spent hours arguing with Dell over simple issues.

I love AppleCare.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

yeah it's usually only car salesmen that call you back, hahaha.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

They are the best for sure. Keep in mind that they'll want you to return the old drive within a certain time period just like with their battery replacement program.

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I agree that Apple Support is great. More than a few on this board like to bash them, but they have always been the most helpful in my estimation.

When I ordered my iMac last year, I "upgraded" to the wireless keyboard without doing my research (didn't know it wasn't extended). After I got it and used it for a few days, I decided I didn't like the small kb. I called Apple and asked them if I could swap out the wireless one for a wired one and told them I didn't want the extra money back, just the bigger keyboard.

I was put on hold for about two minutes and when they guy came back he told me they were shipping me a full-sized one free and they didn't want the wireless one back. Needless to say, I was pretty amazed and grateful.

5. Theirishjoey macrumors member

Wow. I knew apple was good in their public relations but a free keyboard? I doubt any other company will be that kind. :D

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

@IgnatiusTheKing- With a list of toys like that:

Mac Pro Quad-Core 2.8GHz, 6GB RAM | iMac 24" 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM | MacBook 2.1GHz White, 2GB RAM | iPhone 3G Black 16GB 2.2

...Apple is doing themselves a favor by giving you a freebie keyboard. ;)

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

When I going to buy my MacBook last last Black Friday, the concierge was helping this other person. He bought a MBP before (I think...) and he was pretty angry over something about it (I kept my distance :D). I left at the same time he did and he was all smiles. Just goes to show how nice/kind Apple employees are. Leopard came out a month before I bought my MacBook, and since it was pretty new, the concierge asked me (I was 14 back then, so he probably thought I didn't know much about Macs, which isn't true at all) if I would like him to show me the new stuff in Leopard. I kindly refused, having read about Leopard and watched Jobs' keynote presentation.

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

So true, though I would honestly have been just as happy sending back the wireless keyboard (without getting my money back) in exchange for the bigger one.

Without sounding like too much of a "fanboy" I'd also like to point out how user-friendly Apple's rebate system has become. About five years ago I bought a PowerBook G4 and got a printer free after rebate, which was a rigmarole and ended up not working out for me because I waited a few days too long to send it in (totally my fault, but still aggravating).

Fast forward to a few months ago when I bought my MacBook (right before the new ones came out, when they had the free printer/free iPod touch deals going on). This time the rebate required no cutting of cardboard, no mailing of forms, just a simple online form filled out where I supplied the serial numbers and my Apple ID.

I got the rebate checks (totaling $399) less than two weeks later. Freaking great. Rebates are the sucker-inducing gimmicks of the retail world (second only to gift cards), but Apple has made it so easy they can't possibly be making as much money off failed rebates as everyone else is.