Macbook plugged in but not charging?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jason Beck, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I tried SMC resets and everything. The Macbook takes a charge and charges normally when it is asleep, or off. It will charge to the max (96%). Battery has 349h load cycles.

Charges when asleep or off.

As soon as I power on the laptop or wake it up, it will stop charging.

Battery holds the normal charge I usually get (3ish hours).

Tried a few pram and smc zaps.

Battery charger is a Hong Kong knockoff. Battery inside is genuine.

2008 Aluminum Macbook

Cleaned magsafe and port with q-tip and still to no avail.

When plugged in, it will run *off the battery* and the charger will show a green light and not trickle charge the battery. It will drain the battery, and then when it is drained it will run off the power. Check the screen shot.

I am thinking that the charger is the culprit. Because it holds a charge when I let it charge while it is off. It will charge up just fine, in the two hours or whatever it takes to charge itself up. Battery usage is normal when it is running off the battery.

Thoughts? I am going to be ordering a genuine charger right now anyways. :D

edit, Just bought a genuine charger for 30 bucks shipped off ebay. If that doesn't work then I will buy a replacement battery. Hopefully it is the charger, because it holds a charge and charges when asleep. I will try a full calibration tonight after my homework. Just now, the battery killed itself and then it acted like it went to sleep and when it woke it was running off the cord, plugged in but not charging. I can put it to sleep or shut down and charge the battery though. Weird. ahahha!

Help guys! : )

Attached Files:

2. Jason Beck thread starter macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

haha. Okay well I just got back from the track and my macbook is tethered and I let it charge a little bit asleep while I was gone. So I get back and wake it up and the orange light is on and the lightning bolt is up there and the percentage is increasing. So it's doing what it is supposed to now. Probably is the charger huh?