MacBook plus netbook enough for college?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AppleFanatic10, Jun 19, 2013.

1. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Hello guys!

I'm a junior in college and I'm going to be dorming at the school I'm attending in the fall (just transferred there a few weeks ago). I have a white MB Unibody (2010), that I use regularly and a netbook that I got in 2010 also (way before the macbook) plus a 15' compaq presario that I got in 2009 as a birthday present. I'm wondering if I should just bring the MB and the netbook with me to school. I feel like the 15' would be too heavy to lug around on campus all day and the netbook would be just right for note taking and occasionally writing papers.. Mainly I'd use my macbook for iTunes, surfing the net when I'm in my dorm room, watching youtube videos, Skype, ichat, and writing papers, researching for assignments. Unfortunately I would love to have an iPad for note-taking and reading my textbooks but I cannot under any circumstances afford anything like an iPad. Am I making the right decision with bringing my MB and my netbook? Or should I just bring my MB with me?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

IMHO, A netbook alone would more than suffice for the uses you stated. So would the MacBook, so would the Compaq; no need for two, really. I suppose if you really wanted to bring two, the netbook would be good for lugging around campus due to portability, plus, I would think the netbook less of a target for theft than the MacBook, and much less expensive to replace. Then the MacBook would be good for "at home" operations.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Sell them all and invest in a 11" or 13" MacBook Air.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I can understand using the iPad to read your textbook, since one textbook can weights in at 3 to 6lbs (back when I was in College any how). You can do that on your laptop.

But how would you using the iPad for note taking be any faster than typing on a laptop or, like what we did in my day, scribbling on paper? I'd invest in a good digital voice recorder (one with USB) and notepads... forget the notepad. I'm still stuck in the late 80's.:eek: Typing on your laptop is faster than scribbling on a notepad.

I'd just bring the laptop and a digital voice recorder. Typing on a netbook? Maybe if you've got small hands or do the two finger peck.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I also think that a laptop would be the best solution.

6. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Yes. That's mainly why I'd want to being both. Leave my MacBook in a safe place while I'm in class and lug the net book around. Don't really care if that one gets stolen. Plus my netbook is small and VERY light. It's easier on my back. But it's so slowwww at times. That's why it'd be just for note taking while I'm in class. The compaq is pretty heavy it's 15' and since I'm going to be on campus ALL day it would really start to hurt my back!

----------

I have really small hands so typing on my netbook is no issue lol. Plus I like how quiet my netbooks keyboard is when I'm typing away.

----------

If I sold them all I still wouldn't have enough money to get a MBA.

7. kolax macrumors G3

You'll get college discount. Or you could buy a used one.

8. malman89 macrumors 68000

Pen and legal pad.

Netbook if you must.

MacBook leave in the dorm or take to the library if more heavy duty work would suit it better than the netbook.

---

iPads are just consumer toys or fun business displays. Almost no textbooks are really available for it - unless we're talking non-copyrighted classics in PDF. It's also slower and easily as inconvenient (if not more so) than a netbook for typing on.

9. AppleFanatic10, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

This is actually what I was thinking of doing. Not a legal pad but a regular notebook... all depends on how fast I write notes and which Professors allow students to type up their notes on their netbooks/computers. I will definitely be leaving my MacBook in my dorm. If I write notes too slow than the I'll be using the netbook to type up notes. I was just wondering if it'd be a good idea.

Thank you all for the advise btw!