Macbook Poll: Apple or third party RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nicolasmasset, Jun 4, 2007.

?

Apple or third party ram?

1. Apple ram

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Third pary ram

28 vote(s)
    93.3%
  1. nicolasmasset macrumors regular

I'm on the verge of buying a macbook, but I don't know if I should buy 2gb (+160€) apple ram, or buy it from crucial for 80€ (an apple salesman told me it would void the warranty though...)

So the poll is: Which RAM have you, would you, will you buy for the macbook?

Poll results:
    look up!

EDIT: I rang an official apple store earlier today and they said that they wouldn't warrant any malfunctions like system crashes (both hardware and software) if they found it was due to the faulty ram that was bought elsewhere. So if it's an issue that doesn't have to do with ram, it will still be under warranty. They told me they primarilly used CSX and Buffalo ram. I also asked why their ram was so overpriced and they told me that you're basically paying for garanteed replacement service if anything goes wrong with their ram. It kinda sounds like a ram-specific mini applecare you're paying for...

Hmm, choices choices ...

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Crucial seems to have a good rep around here, and they are a fair bit cheaper, so i'd go with them :)

3. munckee macrumors 65816

I have a 3GB kit coming from OWC. I can't speak to European standards, but here in the US ram upgrades only void the warranty if you break something or if the issue that you're trying to have fixed is a direct result of the upgraded ram.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

Definitely buy it from Crucial. Installing RAM this way isn't going to void the RAM.

Crucial (and I'm not connected to the company other than being a satisfied customer!) is fab - great prices and excellent customer service.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Otherworldcomputing.com, but in Europe probably Crucial

6. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Yea, go with Crucial, Apple RAM is a rip off IMO. Installing RAM will not void the warranty, don't worry about that. :D

7. EngBrian macrumors regular

If you want you can add a poll to the thread by going to the "thread tools" menu above the top post. Just FYI.

Otherwise with getting a macbook soon I am interested in the results.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't like crucial and their 'dynamic pricing'
    i go with Data Memory Systems, and their prices are either the same as Crucial's or lower. and they're guaranteed with a lifetime warranty as well.

but i'd never buy RAM from Apple, too overpriced.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'd go with newegg.com. They generally have the best prices. Avoid the Mac specific memory section as it is more expensive. Just look at the normal desktop/laptop RAM section. Start with the cheapest and read the customer reviews to see if it was successfully installed into Macs and that it gets good reviews in general.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I bought the cheapest Adata ram off ebay i could find. It works fine.

11. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk