Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
I was messing around with Garageband today with my instrument and then suddenly there was a loud pop, and then audio went out. What's going on? Please help, thanks!!!

-Rekhyt

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Is this through the speakers on the laptop or through external speakers?

If there through the laptop, can you plug external speakers in and see if you can output sound? Do you hear the startup chime when you turn the machine on? Have a try with a PRAM reset and SMC reset if needed

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Hello Toolbox,
Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried a PRAM reset, and this problem solves right after I restart. (Had this problem before.)

Do you think it'll eliminate happening again in Garageband after I reset the PRAM?

(It's through the external speakers.)

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Hello Toolbox,
Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried a PRAM reset, and this problem solves right after I restart. (Had this problem before.)

Do you think it'll eliminate happening again in Garageband after I reset the PRAM?

(It's through the external speakers.)

a PRAM reset can fix a lot of stuff. Might be worth doing it anyway.

Here is how to do the pram

Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Hello Toolbox,
Thanks for the instructions. (I just finished downloading updates through Software Update. I'm going to restart it now, so do you think it's wise to have it restart and install through Software Update and then reset the PRAM right after, or should I go into login screen and then restart and reset the PRAM?)

Thanks,
Rekhyt

Update: I installed updates, then restarted and reset PRAM. Before the reset, there was a popping noise, but after the reset, it fixed. :D Hopefully it won't happen again. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.