Macbook potential hardware issue and fixing it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alastriss, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Alastriss macrumors newbie

So here's the deal. I opened my mbp and it gave me the white screen with the flashing folder with the question mark inside it.

After much searching, it turns out that it is either an error in the OS or the HDD has failed. I am currently 2hours away from where my home is (my purchase receipt and my mac software CDs are there). This is complicated by the fact that I don't have an apple store in either of those two cities, but however they do have apple kiosks in best buy (and those are around me).

If I can't use my friend's CD to repair the files, will I still be able to take my mbp in to a bestbuy for fixing given that I would still have the product's serial but not the receipt? It is less than a year old and the warranty is still active.

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

They should be able to verify the warranty using the serial number, can't remember the link though.

I know when I had my previous MBP repaired by an Apple authorised repair centre, I called AppleCare first and logged a case with them first, and they validated the warranty over the phone with the serial.

3. Alastriss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I have new developments. I tried to start it up and I actually got into my system. Then I got the color wheel when I was starting an app and it froze, so I had to restart. When I restarted this time, It took me to the white screen but without the flashing folder and question mark. Does the fact that it did go into my OS mean that it is probably a software problem or no?

4. daze macrumors 6502

daze

From the description provided, it is hard to tell exactly where the problem is. But definitely, the OS seems to be corrupted. Most probably, this could be a physical hardware problem with the hard drive. I say that because you couldn't get into the OS at first, which is reminiscent of a hard drive attempting to read data but failing, and later on succeeding by retrying. I suggest you try to backup whatever precious data you have, and try to reinstall the OS.

Hope that helps a little bit.

5. Alastriss thread starter macrumors newbie

so you are likely saying that to repair this I need to reinstall OSX or should I cut to the chase and send it to apple in case my HD is fried? (my friend would need to ship the installation CDs right away)

6. akramer macrumors member

This sounds much more like a hardware problem (failing HD) than it does a software problem. If you have important files, the next boot of your computer should be off a CD when an external HD is handy so you can copy them off.

7. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Read this thread and try out some of the things recommended there, especially the first one, i.e. repair permissions with Disk Utility.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2482723&tstart=0

Are you close to the end of the warranty period? If close, I wouldn't take any chances and send it in for repair. But, I would send it in either way if the repairing permissions doesn't solve anything. Again, backup before attempting anything that you can't undo (even repairing permissions)...

You could always post at the Apple discussion threads also for more detailed help.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

you can't edit/mange anything when booting off the discs. all you can do is:
    a) run apple hardware test
    b) run disk utility
    c) install osx

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

there is a trick that i know of that might work... take the hard drive out of the MBP... put it in a ziploc bag and put it in the freezer for about 8 hours... put the hard drive back in the computer and transfer all important files to an external hard drive...

Please Note: I am not responsible for any damage caused by this post.

Note: only attempt this if nothing else works... if the repairing of permissions and anything else software related fails, only then should you attempt this.

10. JacaByte macrumors 6502

That trick only works sometimes due to thermal expansion. (or lack thereof) It'll only work for as long as your computer is cool, so about a half hour. It depends on a variety of factors, of course. (No, don't try to use your MBP in a meat locker or something, it's too humid in there)

I think that this is definitely a problem with the hard drive. After backing up all your files you should invest in a hard drive that's not a refurbished Hitachi or Fujitsu piece of crap and buy one from Western Digital or Seagate.