MacBook power adapter and battery question.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Leonard.Green, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Leonard.Green macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Does the 60W Power Adapter does all the work with charging the battery,
    or is there something else on the logicboard that also helps ?

Thing is that battery in MacBook Unibody Aluminium (late2008, MB466) seems to be damaged :

-only one year old battery
    -about 270 cycles, around 75% of health
    -LED is always green on magsafe
    -it is a 5h bat, yet Leo shows 10h ready for use (but on battery MB goes down after ~5min)

This battery in other MacBook (also MB466) shows the exact same symptoms - lies about being fully charged,
    lasts for 5min when Mac is unplugged (also shows 10 hours of work time on battery thats supposed to do 5h tops).

I would like to replace the battery, but to do so I need to be sure that there is no circuit in the
    MacBook that may have damaged this battery, so after replacing this won't happen again.

It would be great if someone could help me with this.
    Best regards,
    L.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. Leonard.Green thread starter macrumors newbie

@GGJstudios - I saw this FAQ before I asked (gj putting it all together btw),
    unfortunatley it won't solve my problem with lack of knowledge about the logic board,
    nor it is clarifying whether it's safe to buy a new battery.

@spinnerlys - I think that calibration won't help when battery is almost dead
    (it holds up to 5min of energy at this point, it was drained and left for some time already,
    along with PRAM and SMC resets).

Thanks for your responses guys.

Still hoping to get something about the charging process, and LB role in it.
    L.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

As far as I know, there is not a component on the logic board that aids in charging the battery. Only the magsafe adapter, the dc-in board, and the battery connector is involved here.

6. Leonard.Green thread starter macrumors newbie

@AlphaDogg - Thanks for the info, thats kinda what I was hoping for. If battery got bad all by itself
    (Mac worked under different Power Adapters) then I guess it's ok to replace it.

In this case Apple based replacement won't work because this battery crossed 80% health line
    right after hitting 12 months :( Just weeks after decreasing health to 75% it started behaving as described earlier.

About this 1000 cycles you mentioned - is Macbook Aluminium Unibody MB466/MB467 (late 2008)
    equipped with 1000 cycles battery ? (battery model No A1280) ?

Thanks for the time you guys take to answer my questions :)
    L.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the link I posted as the first reply to your thread? It has the answer there.

8. Leonard.Green thread starter macrumors newbie

@GGJstudios - Yes, as I wrote
    But after reading your FAQ spinnerlys wrote about 1000 cycles. Since he knew
    what my model is and since there is no specified models list on Apple page you
    put in the first link (only divided into removable - built-in batteries), I assumed
    there must be something I don't know (or understand), and that is how I came up
    with my question. As I thought abefore, that division is strict and my MacBook
    is in the 300 cycles group, right ?

Thanks for help.
    L.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Whether the battery is removable or not is the only distinction. All the removable batteries are good for 300 cycles. All the built-in batteries are good for 1000 cycles. Since yours is a 2008 Macbook with a removable battery, yours is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 300 cycles. The built-in battery was first introduced with the 17" MacBook Pro of early 2009.

10. Leonard.Green thread starter macrumors newbie

All clear now with the battery cycles, thanks for help :)
    Best regards,
    L.