Macbook Power Adapter broke after socket adapter change

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jciapara, Oct 19, 2009.

1. jciapara macrumors regular

Hello,

I've a question, I bought a macbook magsafe power adapter (from an authorized reseller) for my macbook, as I had lost the previous one during moving. At the time I lived in Germany, so I bought it there, with no problems using it, then after about 10 months I moved back to UK, I then tried to put the UK adapter (just changing the small part of the magsafe power adapter to the UK one), but it didn't work when I connected it, I saw what could have been some sparks when I plugged it in, I tried changing it back to the EU adapter using an external adapter and nothing, I've also tried to plug it one when I went back to germany and it wouldn't work.

I bought a new one here in the UK which works fine so far, but now I am going for a few days back to germany, my question is: could I leave it there with a friends and try for him to claim the warranty somehow (change for a new one or repair)?. I have lost the receipt, that is why I have doubts they"ll consider making the warranty valid, but is there someway they could track when the power adapter was bought and see that it is still under warranty (serial number or something)?.

Anyways sorry for the long post, if anyone can give some advice on what to do with the non-functional power adapter. Is not a problem if I can't claim the warranty but if there's anything that can be done, I would like to try it. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you might have.

Julio

btw: I did check that the adapter was not loose and that it was properly set.

2. jciapara thread starter macrumors regular

3. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I don't know how it translates from germany/uk, but I do know that from Canada/US to UK, there's a significant current & voltage change that requires different equipment (in this case, the PSU) so that might be your problem.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

There may be a voltage change, but the adapters are auto-switching so can use any voltage between 110-240. The current change is due to the voltage difference.

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Oh, then it should be a problem isolated to that one adapter.

6. fluffyx macrumors 6502

jciapara, Apple should not request proof of purchase for the power adapter. It should just be replaced under its 1-year warranty.

You are eligible to:
    • Call Apple and request mail-in replacement free of charge
    • Visit an Apple Store with a Genius Bar appointment for replacement free of charge
    • Visit an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for replacement free of charge.

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ is a good resource for finding phone numbers and local service providers.

They may ask the age of the adapter, but they should not request a receipt or other proof of purchase. If they do, let them know that you believe this should not be necessary. Ask to speak to a manager if you need. Apple policy dictates that they do not request proof of purchase for a power adapter.

Good luck.