MacBook Power Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gojaromeiginla, Feb 10, 2008.

1. gojaromeiginla macrumors member

OK, my power adapter's cord just had the insulation break. If anybody knows how to safely fix something like that, I'd appreciate it, but I've kind of parted ways with the cord. However, I still need power, because my Macbook is my primary computer. Where would I get a cord that is compatible with a Macbook?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If your computer is less than one year old (or you bought AppleCare) you can get a free replacement from Apple. If not, you should buy a replacement from Apple.

3. gojaromeiginla thread starter macrumors member

Well, I essentially need power now. I don't care if it's not "apple certified," I just need something compatible. Is there any way I could power my macbook without having to wait for apple to send me a replacement?

Oh, and I'd like to know, if i taped up the cord with electrical tape, would that probably suffice for a temporary replacement?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Unfortunately, I don't think so. Do you have an Apple Store nearby? They should be able to supply you with a new one right away.

...or how bad is the cord? Under normal circumstances I would never recommend using a damaged power cord, but if you did so only under close supervision, everything should be OK. (Naturally, you can assess the situation better than I, and if you feel it could be dangerous, do not use the cord.)

5. gojaromeiginla thread starter macrumors member

The nearest Apple Store is across my city, and unfortunately, my car is in the shop at the moment. The cord isn't that bad. If I used with electrical tape, I could easily close up the relatively small hole in the insulation. My neighbor also knows quite a bit about electrical equipment, so I could talk to him as well. Still, if there were a place that carried something that is compatible with the particular socket the adapter uses, I'd like to know about it. Thanks for any help so far, though