Macbook Power Charging Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tempest-tost, Apr 13, 2016.

1. tempest-tost macrumors newbie

tempest-tost

Hey all!

I recently purchased a gold Macbook and am in love with it. It is the first Mac I have owned, which brings me to my charging question . . .
    Do you leave the AC cord plugged in anytime you can? I've read conflicting arguments on how to best sustain battery life, and although I've read up on the Apple site and know all about cycle counts, I'm still curious what the best way forward is.
    A lot of what I've read states that you should let your Mac run down to 15-20% and then charge to 100% before disconnecting the AC. Other people have said that keeping the laptop plugged in whenever possible is best as it keeps the cycle count down.

Honestly, I realize that this may be a silly thing to think too much about . . . it's a machine that's meant to be used after all! Unfortunately, I'm still in the "it's so shiny and new stage," so here I am.

Many thanks!

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You are probably overthinking this. Don't worry so much about cycle count.

Two bad things for the battery ... leaving it plugged in all the time ... and letting it go completely dead.

Just use your new computer (it likes that), charge it when it needs it, and enjoy using it.