Macbook Power Chord Troubles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaton24, Jan 11, 2008.

1. aaton24 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook and the power chord has frayed and will not power the laptop anymore. I have been looking on apple's website and all that is available are power chord's for MBP's and Powerbook's, each have a different wattage than the 60W charger that my macbook needs.

So I have two questions:
    1) If I were to buy a 65W charger for a Macbook Pro would that fry my regular Macbook ?

2) Is there anywhere other than the Apple site where I could purchase a 60W charger ? I've called all of my local computer shops but no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

The Macbook Pro charger does work with the Macbook and won't cause any harm. But surely the 65w charger is on their website? :confused:

3. aaton24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know there is a 65W charger on there site, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to run into any problems so I checked the wattage on the macbook charger and it said it was a 60W charger so I wanted to make sure that the extra 5W's wouldn't fry my battery or computer.

But if you know the macbook pro charger will work than that is good enough for me.

4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Ah I see.

Well they should all work fine together. Sometimes chargers in the house here get swapped around. Theres 1 Macbook and 1 Macbook Pro. And on any of the two machines there was no problems with them using the different chargers. :)

5. aaton24 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. AVR2 macrumors 6502

BTW, it's "cord", not "chord". Two very different things!

7. CapitalQ macrumors member

Yes, a "power chord" is played on a guitar. :D

8. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

ha that's what got me into this thread, I was thinking some MB modded guitar or something:cool:

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Search "macbook power adapter" at store.apple.com
    shows Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter for...

Make sure you wrap the cable properly, like the picture to prevent damage to the cord.

Attached Files:

10. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Why did you order a new one? Apple should replace it for free...just take the frayed one in (all parts - power brick, 2-prong nub, and 3-prong extension) and a new one should be yours.