Macbook Power Connector Melted?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by blevins321, Feb 3, 2011.

1. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Hi all,

A friend brought her Macbook to me yesterday thinking she might have a dead charger. Symptom: battery wasn't charging. Forgive me for not knowing the #,# product ID, but the Applecare expires this November, so it was sold in November 2008.

I used to have an old-shell Macbook and had a spare battery in the closet, so I gave that a shot. No dice. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the prongs in the Magsafe adapter slot were split and the glue was black and seemed like it had melted. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this happening before? The adapter itself didn't look like it had any damage, so maybe it was just the laptop? The computer itself worked perfectly fine until the battery died.

Took it last night to a local Mac retailer (no Apple Store in desirable driving distance) so I'll hopefully find out the results soon.

2. Peachiihime macrumors newbie

Peachiihime

I've seen this happen before. My dad and I both have MacBooks and his the head of his charger popped off. The inside was all melted and gnarled. It can happen if something gets inside of it (sand in his case, don't ask :rolleyes: ) or if the charger overheats (from prolonged use or improper air circulation) Then it begins to melt. Apple gave him a new one free of charge, so you might try phoning them. As long as it's under warranty, they should be able to supply one, if not, then you'll have to buy one.

3. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030

Update:
    The repair shop replaced the power adapter and the Macsafe board on the laptop free of charge under Applecare. They think it was a power surge caused during the recent ice storms in Ohio (power was flickering alot). Either way - the warranty just paid for itself. :-D