Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
MA
I have a black Macbook that I use for everything. In my dorm, I have a full set up with an external monitor, speakers, etc. The outlets in front of me are full and the surge protector is in an inconvenient location.

ANYWAYS, I was thinking about getting a second charger to power my Macbook when I'm in my room and keep one in my backpack. I looked on Amazon, and Apple branded chargers are around $70-80, quite a bit more than I'd like to spend. Ebay, on the other hand, has macbook chargers for around $20. I'd assume these are third party offerings.

Now my question is, do these work alright? I'd prefer something that works and isn't dangerous or anything...

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
A lot of people around here use the 3rd party chargers without issue.

I personally don't trust them, especially since MagSafe has not ever been officially licensed for 3rd party production. I'll spend the extra $40 or so on an Apple branded piece which is covered by their warranty and my laptop's warranty.

If something happened with that 3rd party charger resulting in a dead laptop, you'll be SOL; which should not be the case with an Apple charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.