Macbook power cord

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by guitargoddsjm, Aug 17, 2009.

1. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I have a black Macbook that I use for everything. In my dorm, I have a full set up with an external monitor, speakers, etc. The outlets in front of me are full and the surge protector is in an inconvenient location.

ANYWAYS, I was thinking about getting a second charger to power my Macbook when I'm in my room and keep one in my backpack. I looked on Amazon, and Apple branded chargers are around $70-80, quite a bit more than I'd like to spend. Ebay, on the other hand, has macbook chargers for around $20. I'd assume these are third party offerings.

Now my question is, do these work alright? I'd prefer something that works and isn't dangerous or anything...

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

A lot of people around here use the 3rd party chargers without issue.

I personally don't trust them, especially since MagSafe has not ever been officially licensed for 3rd party production. I'll spend the extra $40 or so on an Apple branded piece which is covered by their warranty and my laptop's warranty.

If something happened with that 3rd party charger resulting in a dead laptop, you'll be SOL; which should not be the case with an Apple charger.