Macbook Power Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shreddyyy, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Shreddyyy macrumors newbie

Okay, to start off I'm going to say I use my macbook QUITE often and I've had it for a little over a year now. Now here's the problem, I was using my macbook the other day and it randomly started shutting down and turning back on, sort of like it had low power and the power adapter wasn't connected correctly. So, without thinking much about it I just tried to disconnect and reconnect the chord but it died out on me. Then, a few minutes later I tried to charge it and let it sit by itself without me messing with it so it could get a little charge and it charged to about 20% and the light on the magsafe chord went off. Once again, I disconnected and reconected the chord just like before but this time no charge and the light wouldn't go on either. At first I thought it was that there was a faulty wire in the chorde and I messed with it until I could get some sort of reaction in any way. Finally, some light came to the magsafe chord. It was very very dim and the computer recognized no charge. Now the macbook is dead and the light has changed from a dim green light to a light that blinks yellow and green but very fast. (not like its in between charging states.) The computer has been dead for a few days now and I have no clue on what I should do. Is it a battery problem or the charger is just old? or anything else? Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. Also, I feel the need to note that i do not have the extended protection plan. (nor am I under the 1 year plan, it just ran out).

2. Shreddyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

If I did the attachment right it should be a zipped short video of the issue. (sorry for the quality, its from my phone, but you will get the point)

Attached Files:

3. chipchen macrumors 6502

I'd definitely try a different adapter first. Not likely to be the battery. Could be the DC-in port or the logic board.

4. Shreddyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it be a big problem if the problem was the logic board?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. That's the main circuit board in the computer with the CPU and core logic chipset soldered to it. Basically it's the computer. Very expensive to replace.

6. Shreddyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

What if you are under warranty?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Then, if required, it would be replaced by Apple. But you have said that you are not and Apple do not normally offer much leeway on that.

8. Shreddyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you get an extended warranty after the one year one has expired?

9. mcmacintyre macrumors newbie

mcmacintyre

hope you check the adapter first

heard of 2 power issues that were related to an adapter, even when one was said to be a logic board or something (from an "expert")

10. splendidham macrumors newbie

I'm also having some problems with my magsafe. I can get it connected but it needs some maneuvering. This can be quite frustrating. Sometimes the light flicks on first go, over times, I'll disconnect and reconnect the adapter over and over. This can go on for a few minutes before it connects. Im hoping its just the magsafe. I've cleaned it a few times. The first time I cleaned it, it worked really well but cleaning it now doesn't do much good. I dont really want to have to replace. I already called apple and they said it could be the dc in port or logic board which would cost about $400 to replace... thats approximately what my macs worth right now. I'm going to try take it in to the genius bar tomorrow. Hopefully it's nothing, but if anyone here has some suggestions?

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

No, the extended coverage must be purchased and activated before the 1 year is up.

Check out iFixit.com for your Macbook. I assume like a Powerbook that the DC in board is separate from the logic board in which case the repair would not be too expensive.